Stay loose !

Help Support CattleToday:

Good lookin calf. Brahman momma mode is good for keeping predators away and protecting their calf, but can make it interesting if you have to fool with the calf the first few days.

Yes sir , she assumes baby sitting duties for the whole herd when she calves . At least 2 weeks you have to know where she is if you're tagging another calf . Only one we have like this . She raises one of the best calves on the place . Her oldest daughter calved last year and did a great job , Her youngest daughter will calve next month . She is the first one to my truck when I'm checking cows or putting out hay or mineral.

Yes sir , she assumes baby sitting duties for the whole herd when she calves . At least 2 weeks you have to know where she is if you're tagging another calf . Only one we have like this . She raises one of the best calves on the place . Her oldest daughter calved last year and did a great job , Her youngest daughter will calve next month . She is the first one to my truck when I'm checking cows or putting out hay or mineral.
Yep. If you have a herd of pure Brahma, you will see calves in a "nursery" attended by one or two of the cows. And they trade off..it isn't always the same cow baby-sitting.

Putting out hay today and got out of the cab to cut the net wrap off . Her and her new baby were about 20 ft from me with a couple of other cows and a bigger calf . Somebody sneezed or coughed and I almost jumped on top of the roll of hay . She was calmly watching me cut the wrap and had never moved . Took at least 3-4 months off my life ! 🤦‍♂️

It's interesting to see the nurseries and the babysitters. I used to take a book out in the fields when I was irrigating and would sit on a log in the shade out in the north forty. The cows would all come over because they were curious and start cropping the grass around me. Soon the calves would bed down and the cows would leave to graze away. One or two would stay noticeably closer. I always thought it was a compliment to have my cows surround me and leave their calves.

@coachg , yeah, that is the thing with Angus and their offshoots..Brangus, Chi-Angus etc....the cows just want a few days to a week alone with their new babies. :) Even the most gentle, in-your-pocket Angus cows, get over protective those first few days. :)
Can get overprotective. But most of mine won't because they know me, they know the drill. Went out to tag/work a newborn earlier this week and mama had parked him under a dang hedge bush. I've never walked away from working a calf so bloody, but the calf didn't move and mama just watched - although I think she was laughing at me the entire time.

I was out along the feed row late morning taking pictures of the calves. No one paid attention to me. The dog hopped off the quad. Not real close to the calf. Calf didn't make a peep. But here come that cow flying down the feed row. I do believe she might get serious real quick.

I was out along the feed row late morning taking pictures of the calves. No one paid attention to me. The dog hopped off the quad. Not real close to the calf. Calf didn't make a peep. But here come that cow flying down the feed row. I do believe she might get serious real quick.
One of the last heifers I ever bought was nuts about dogs. If I was out in the field on foot or on the quad without the dog (didn't happen often) she was fine. No problem. But if the dog was with me her head was up and she was actively aware of the dog and if the dog left the quad the heifer was after the dog. She'd get within 10/15 feet and circle me as the dog stayed close... and if the dog got far enough away for any reason the chase was on. And the rest of the herd followed her lead. I like cows that protect their calves but she didn't even have one and she was going nuts. Aren't these kind fun?

Latest posts