State Farm Size

Help Support CattleToday:

littletom

Reaction score
Saw flyer in cow country news average farm in Ky Was 170 or so acres, wondered what it was in other places.

littletom said:
Saw flyer in cow country news average farm in Ky Was 170 or so acres, wondered what it was in other places.

Texas is so varied an environment it would almost have to be broken down by regions. You could easily run a pair per acre in my area go west and it could easily be 50 acres per pair.
My area I would guess 75 to 100 acres.

"If you want to look at average number of head. The same 2012 Census indicates a Texas beef cow inventory of 4.33 million head on 134,000 operations or about 32 head per operation.

You can find the Texas Ag Census data here: http://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Publications/2012/Full_Report/Volume_1,_Chapter_1_State_Level/Texas/"

Page 9 for 2018 farm size per state. Look all the way to the right, last column................ States with a lot of waste land really run the average US farm acreage size up. Examples.......TN 156, KY 172, VA 184, TX 514, WY 2437

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Publications/Todays_Reports/reports/fnlo0419.pdf

Not sure of acreage size in Ohio, but at the state fair they always have a sign that says the average beef herd in Ohio is 17 head. Most guys that run cattle here are on small acreage or in SE OH where tillage is too difficult. We're in corn and bean country here. My neighbors 250 head is one of the largest operations around me (I'm sure there's one larger elsewhere). He only gets away with it by running them on corn stubble for 6 months.

BigBear56 said:
Not sure of acreage size in Ohio, but at the state fair they always have a sign that says the average beef herd in Ohio is 17 head. Most guys that run cattle here are on small acreage or in SE OH where tillage is too difficult. We're in corn and bean country here. My neighbors 250 head is one of the largest operations around me (I'm sure there's one larger elsewhere). He only gets away with it by running them on corn stubble for 6 months.
179 acres average size according to USDA statistics for Ohio 2018 year.

jltrent said:
BigBear56 said:
179 acres average size according to USDA statistics for Ohio 2018 year.

Good info there. Would've helped if I read the link first before responding lol

I looked yesterday and I think Oregon was about 460. There are a number of small farms over on the coast that drive that average down. The number of farms on the east side of the state is a lot lower than the west side but the average on the east side is probably well over 1,000 acres.

Latest posts