State Fair of Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
We haul into the state fair on Tuesday night. I can't wait. I just love this show. I don't think my boys will do very well there, but we will have a great time. My youngest son's bull calf in his cow/calf pair has turned a lot of heads. We already had several people want to buy him for a steer prospect. Who knows, maybe Da Bandit will be the next years Grand Champion Steer. I know a far out idea.....but we can dream that an american steer could win it all.

I watched the junior simbrah show this morning, man, that judge was all over the place. He would judge one class one way and then the very next class he would judge totally opposite. There were some better calves there then some of the ones that won. I will agree with the Grand Champion, but, the Reserve Champion and some of the class winner's, now that's a different story. Alot better calves there, but, then it was just that judges opinion on this day.

The judge was all over the place. I was okay with the reserve, but wished the cow calf pair would have won :D The judged talked a lot about walking but he did practice what he preached. At least my boys won there classes. Maybe next year we can take home the grand champion banner.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2kc242r5 said:
Hmmm - one agrees with the Grand Champion - one agrees with the Reserve Grand Champion. Are we talking two different breed/classes?

I don't think so. I'm talking about the Junior Simbrah show yesterday at the state fair. I was stating that the judge was all over the place and that in some of the classes the calves that he put in 1st should have not been there. Therefore, a couple of the calves that should have been considered for reserve champion were not even in the championship drive. Also, he put some calves that could not walk well over sure footed calves in some classes. Like was said he was all over the place. One class he would judge one way, the next totally opposite.

I think maybe I'll go and watch the open show this afternoon and see the difference in the class placings. Different judge.
If I can get finished with the fall calves in time.

Well, I made it to the open simbrah show this afternoon. That was a bigger joke than the junior show was. The judge works for one of the ranches and needless to say that ranches calves and calves out of his ranches cattle did very well in the show. The biggest joke was the bull show. There were only 3 bulls, grand went to a bull from that ranch and reserve went to a bull calf out of one of that ranches heifer's. The bull that was put in third should have been reserve. You would have thought that they would have not been so obvious. The calf that was Grand Champion of the junior show was last in her class today. Apparently it didn't have the right brand on it.
Kinda wished that I hadn't wasted my time today.

Normally I only read posts. However, I feel I must respond to culr8 on the show was a joke. We didn't attend the state fair, but I heard the results. My daughters show simbrahs against the family that cul8r is talking about. The heifer and bull calf the culr8 are talking about win everywhere. They have won grand, reserve, or division at the State Futurity, Ft. Worth Stock Show, Simbrah Roundup, Belt Buckle Bonanza, and the Sensation. I would have expected them to do better than they did. I have been trying to buy the bull calf from them since the State Futuriy. That calf has the butts, nuts, and guts I want in my bulls. He is a tank. As far as the heifer goes, I hope they flush her and offer me one. Everyone is entiled to his/her opinion. I respect cul8r opinion, but I feel based on the past results of the heifer and bull calf the results were not a joke.

1st off, I didn't say that the bull wasn't decent. I stated that the bull that was put 3rd should have been reserve. Have you personally seen the bull that was 3rd? It is a sounder and genetically better bull. Moved more freely. Better built.

As far as the cow/calf pair winning everywhere, well, there's not a lot of animals out there in the cows age group. So yeah, there going to either be 1st or 2nd. But, they have been beaten. It all depends on the judge.

Alot of heifer's when they have a calf, alot of the things that supposedly were wrong with them before they had the calf ie: can't walk, not feminine enough, no neck, etc. somehow all disappear when they have that calf trailing along behind them.
Then they start winning everywhere. Some judges just go with the biggest animal there, no matter that some of the younger animals are better.

I personally have judged this cow/calf pair before and like I said they can be beaten and have been. Depends on what other animals show up for that particular show.

I'm just one judge and that's my opinion.

Cul8r wrote:
That was a bigger joke than the junior show was. The judge works for one of the ranches and needless to say that ranches calves and calves out of his ranches cattle did very well in the show.

When someone make a blanket statement like this, I feel you need facts to back it up. I took the time to find the results.

In the Jr. show with the unbiased judge:
I think it is important to note that there were fewer classes with more animals in each class.
100 % of the calves from the ranch were 1st place in their class (3 out of 3 with a reserve champion)

In the open show with the biased judge that worked for the ranch:
60% 1st place with one of those a single entry. If you toss the single entry then it drops to 50%. (5 with the single entry or 4 without and a Grand Champion)

Grand and Reserve on both days were from the same two ranches with the placing switched.

Maybe "professional courtesy" was offered to the grand champion, but to say all the animals from that ranch did very well is incorrect.

Sometimes our emotions blur our vision.

FredS":374djbsh said:
Cul8r wrote:
That was a bigger joke than the junior show was. The judge works for one of the ranches and needless to say that ranches calves and calves out of his ranches cattle did very well in the show.

When someone make a blanket statement like this, I feel you need facts to back it up. I took the time to find the results.

In the Jr. show with the unbiased judge:
I think it is important to note that there were fewer classes with more animals in each class.
100 % of the calves from the ranch were 1st place in their class (3 out of 3 with a reserve champion)

In the open show with the biased judge that worked for the ranch:
60% 1st place with one of those a single entry. If you toss the single entry then it drops to 50%. (5 with the single entry or 4 without and a Grand Champion)

Grand and Reserve on both days were from the same two ranches with the placing switched.

Maybe "professional courtesy" was offered to the grand champion, but to say all the animals from that ranch did very well is incorrect.

Sometimes our emotions blur our vision.

Check your facts.
First of all there were 7 from that ranch in the open show, 6 plus 1 offspring. As far as the junior show, I had already stated that that judge was all over the place in his judging. He was not consistent in judging each class. Changed from one to the next.

Also, I have no emotional attachment to any of the results. I had no cattle in either show or was not entered in either show.
I was just stateing the way that the shows went. It was all done very obiviously. As stated before it's just one judges opinion on a certain day.

That's all that this judge has to say on the matter.

That so called "professional courtesy", is what gives showing cattle a bad rap.

Latest posts