Texas Show People

Help Support CattleToday:

If your planning to show by the end of show day they should be 14-19 months by show day and from showing by the first part of the year our steer we're about 6 months old just weaned and put on grain when we buy our and by the end of showing they are about 14-19 months old hope I could help you :)

If your planning to show by the end of show day they should be 14-19 months by show day and from showing by the first part of the year our steer we're about 6 months old just weaned and put on grain when we buy our and by the end of showing they are about 14-19 months old hope I could help you :)
Thanks for that answer. I guess I probably should explain more. After I sold all of my registered animals I retained a couple of commercial girls. They both have been getting some pretty good looks and comments from some of the parents that do have kids showing. I do not show. I don't want to show. All I want to do is breed them for calving in the right time frame and if any calves turn out of the quality to show, then I'll donate it to a kid that couldn't otherwise afford to buy one. I don't want to spend a ton of money getting there, either. I'm at 50% on my luck with embryos and I stopped messing with those a few years back.

Thanks for that answer. I guess I probably should explain more. After I sold all of my registered animals I retained a couple of commercial girls. They both have been getting some pretty good looks and comments from some of the parents that do have kids showing. I do not show. I don't want to show. All I want to do is breed them for calving in the right time frame and if any calves turn out of the quality to show, then I'll donate it to a kid that couldn't otherwise afford to buy one. I don't want to spend a ton of money getting there, either. I'm at 50% on my luck with embryos and I stopped messing with those a few years back.
we are breeding in january. We have a steer we are showing that is an October calf and one that is a February. I would think October-December would be ideal. The plan is to target San Antonio and/or Houston depending on how they are growing.

I'm not from Texas, but I have many friends and family involved with show cattle in Texas, and I've been selling show calves into Texas for many, many years. And our big spring show here (OYE) is the same time as Houston, so ours need to be the same age. In my experience, August to mid-October is where you need to be. Sure there are everything from May's to December's being shown, and the right feeder with the right calf can make it work. But the vast majority of the steers showing from Fort Worth through Austin will be August-October born.

I don't deal with any of the American breeds but I understand that many of them are younger, some with the most Brahman in them may only be a year old at their terminal shows.

Last edited:

Latest posts