starting

Help Support CattleToday:

BullBucker

Reaction score
OK I have a filly that will be a year old on the 30th. she very very smart, and gets bord very easy. she get use to new things quikly.
and I put a saddle pad on her a few times, then she would look at me like "thats all?". I have a pony saddle, I was wondering if a year is to soon to put a saddle on her?
I don't plan to get on her till next year some time.

and what would be some fun games to make her think?

she has seen the saddle, but did not care about it much.

JP

Ive used a pony saddle on young'n a bunch it anit enough weight to hurt done on short periods but dont over do it on young'n their mind is still growing let um be young you can burn them out and undo all the work you've done

ALACOWMAN":1skk9xh6 said:
Ive used a pony saddle on young'n a bunch it anit enough weight to hurt done on short periods but dont over do it on young'n their mind is still growing let um be young you can burn them out and undo all the work you've done

I agree, don't get in a hurry. Can she load, give to pressure, back, lunge both ways at three different speeds? load in a trailer, wash, clip, stop on command, release her pole, give legs forward? My point is lots of ground work for a young one don't get in a hurry to have a saddle on her. If she trust you the saddle and first time up is easy, I do mean easy, trust is the key.

Alan

Alan":3uwh3wst said:
ALACOWMAN":3uwh3wst said:

If she trust you the saddle and first time up is easy, I do mean easy, trust is the key.

Alan

I would agree 100%. If you do your ground work right and establish trust, the horse is broke before you ever put a saddle on him/her, it's just a matter of teaching reining and talking them through new scenarios in most cases.

BullBucker":1fnsgty0 said:
and what would be some fun games to make her think?

Set up a ground obstacle course, walking over rails, spread out a small tarp to walk over, through traffic cones, lead her all over the place, to the mailbox, up to your car and open the door, walk between chairs, tie a plastic bag onto a chair. I do this with the donkeys. Gets them used to 'useful' things and makes it interesting in addition to the ordinary training.

OK. I don't want to rush her.

Have any of you read Become Perfect Partners by Kelly Marks?
I've read the first two chapters and I relly like it. but I keep forgeting I have it.
here are some of the Contents
Feel and Timing, Teaching you horses to be bad, The art and science of long lining, Putting the intelligence into Horsemanship.

she'll load, back, give to pressure. we'll need to work on lunging.

one thing she is OK with is a rope. At what age would you rope a live calf from her? I thinking 4. I don't want too much presher on her joints, just to be on the safe side. but for now I just stand in her pen and rope at post or someting.

thanks every one.

when you can rope off one depends on alot of things like how well the horse is proggressing its size is it stout enough ive known guys to rope on two year olds to me thats too way too young you can blow their legs out quick. you can dally rope a calf let the colt feel the pressure then release but i wouldnt do much till its 3 years or more. need to keep it fun as possible for colts their like kids it can become a little like work after a while ;-)

When you work with the filly, do you do things on both sides of her?

How is she about giving her feet - and holding her foot up for the farrier? I always check out "new" horses to see if they have respect for people by picking up their feet. I start with the fronts and then go to the hind feet. If the horse won't give its foot - it doesn't trust enough (I try more than once after being around the horse and leading it around some).

Can you put a saddle pad on her from the "off side"? that is, her right side? Can you halter her from the off-side? Can you lead her from there?

I like to play soccer with horses too... just gently push a ball around in a round pen or similar fenced area. Not kick the ball hard, just push it around and after a few days of that, then start kicking it a little farther each time until the young horse is used to something moving around unexpectedly like that.

walking her over logs on the ground. Backing her up over the same logs on the ground.
Leading her between narrow places (a trailer and the wall of a barn or fence).
Have her walk through puddles (you need to walk through them too!! ;-) )

When you get her lunging, both ways, and she goes easily with that, (a few months of lunging work) you can put 2 lunge lines on her (with halter) with the far side one coming around her butt... asking her to walk forward and eventually ground driving her. This will get her used to something around her butt, and help her learn direct reining (pulling one rein while releasing the opposite rein, to turn).

Teach her to walk past you on a lead. This is so that eventually, she can walk past you into a trailer or through a gate.

I never stop to think is this left or right, but yes she will halter, lead, and let me do stuff from both sides.
she'll go through puddles.
She'll pick up her feet, and has had her front trimed.
I'v been working with her from the time she was 4-5 months old. so she trusts me, and she will come up to any one in her pen.

JP

Latest posts