Starting to creep . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Calves are 5 mo old. Cows getting worn down. I've never used creep feed before. Bought a couple creep feeders, wondering how this works. I've got wagons of 70% cracked corn 25% rolled oats and 6 lbs / bushel 34% baby beef. Do the calves just go free choice at it right away or does there need to be a buildup time? Hate to just dump this out there and get everyone sick.

I think you can get in big trouble if you just turn them loose. You need to ration them somehow, or mix salt with it to some fashion, I don't remember how much salt though. :?:

If they have never had grain before I definitely would not let them have free choice until they adjust,you will always get a few piggies that gorge themselves and get sick.

There is a creep feed ration that they mix up for you when ordered but since you have it mixed already I would lower your sides on the feeder to as far down as possible that just a bit comes out at once and they have to really work for it.

Then keep an eye on them and as they adjust you can raise it so they get more out at a time.

TNMasterBeefProducer":19dl3bzs said:
Red Bull Breeder":19dl3bzs said:
Fill them up and let them have it.

Brother I heard that. That is my philosophy.
I don,t believe I would fill it up. Only because it may go sour before they learn to eat it.
Unless they are already starving I would not worry about it. You may have more of a problem keeping the cows from tearing up the surround fence and eating up all the feed.

I normally would start creep feeding earlier than 5 months of age and would just let them have all they want. But since you are starting older calves and the cows as you say are wearing down I would suspect the calves aren't getting all they want from the cow and grass and could overeat if given free access. I would limit their time at the creep feeder for the first week to ten days to about 5-6 hours a day until they get adjusted to the creep feed. Then watch that a few don't overload. Good Luck

With my creep feeder, I usually put in about 200-300 lbs and see how the calves do with it. They usually start hitting it pretty heavy, and I then just keep enough in there to keep them interested. Dang.. if I filled it up, I would have to sell several of em to pay for the cost of it. :nod:

TNMasterBeefProducer":1t4zwt05 said:
Limomike":1t4zwt05 said:
With my creep feeder, I usually put in about 200-300 lbs and see how the calves do with it. They usually start hitting it pretty heavy, and I then just keep enough in there to keep them interested. Dang.. if I filled it up, I would have to sell several of em to pay for the cost of it. :nod:

Yeah at 190 a ton for the growing ration and 245 a ton for the finishing ration it could add up quick. Luckily God has blessed me with a decent paying job to where I can afford it. I have 0% interest capital one card where I get frequent flier miles on all my purchases. I just charge it to the credit card and then pay it off when they send me my monthly statement.

Heck I just tell the feed store to put it on my bill, when i get the bill i send a check. no big deal dealing with capital one when your time runs out and you get hit with the BIG one! lol
Of course if your feed store doens't know you (or trust you) well then i can understand using a credit card!~ :D :D

weve got a charge account at the local farmers coop.an have had that charge account for 60yrs or longer.i just pay my bill once a month.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1t9l6knv said:
Red Bull Breeder":1t9l6knv said:
Fill them up and let them have it.

Brother I heard that. That is my philosophy.

Same here....put it out before they really old enough to eat much and allow their curiosity to take over. They'll start nibbling and eventually build up. I use a dry mix of cottonseed hulls, distillers grain, corn, cottonseed meal with vitamins, minerals and Bovatec. 12% protein, 5% fat. Works great.

I just don't creep feed....ever. Don't like it, don't approve of it. Avoid breeders who use it. Why do you deam this absolutely necessary? Are planning on keeping any of the heifers? Why not just wean the calves completely if your cows are falling apart. 5 mos. isn't that bad.

With the cost of feed I would consider setting up creep pasture instead. Drought has crippled our regular pasture for the cows. We had a small paddock that we reseeded a few years ago and decided to try it as a creep pasture and we love the results. Might be too late for this year but something to consider. Built a creep gate out of wood for about $10.

I agree - I don't like grain creep. I see no problem with supplying calves with good pasture.

redcowsrule33":2qy8lt6n said:
With the cost of feed I would consider setting up creep pasture instead. Drought has crippled our regular pasture for the cows. We had a small paddock that we reseeded a few years ago and decided to try it as a creep pasture and we love the results. Might be too late for this year but something to consider. Built a creep gate out of wood for about $10.

I agree - I don't like grain creep. I see no problem with supplying calves with good pasture.

Can't disagree with you. I just want them to have access to feed asap. I'm sure I fall in the "hobby cattleman" category but it's just my preference. It definitely does add some expense.

When feed prices were low and claf prices were high it really penciled out to creep. Now it's probably at best a break even proposition

dun":31xguwfz said:
When feed prices were low and claf prices were high it really penciled out to creep. Now it's probably at best a break even proposition

I agree and am thinking that my Christmas present will be sitting empty next calving season. :roll:

I doubt that your findings that you are basing your theories on took into account the cost of todays feed. Also, do they take into effect what individuals think of your animals once they see the creep feeder sitting in your field? What about the potential customer that you lost b/c of this unsightly piece of equipment.

Santas and Duhram Reds":ekpe41bn said:
I doubt that your findings that you are basing your theories on took into account the cost of todays feed. Also, do they take into effect what individuals think of your animals once they see the creep feeder sitting in your field? What about the potential customer that you lost b/c of this unsightly piece of equipment.

Creep feeders are used a lot around here , but it is usually only in the winter months and a calf starter ration with decox .In minus forty weather a little grain sure makes a different with a baby ;-) .

TNMasterBeefProducer":2t7lla7q said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":2t7lla7q said:
I just don't creep feed....ever. Don't like it, don't approve of it. Avoid breeders who use it. Why do you deam this absolutely necessary? Are planning on keeping any of the heifers? Why not just wean the calves completely if your cows are falling apart. 5 mos. isn't that bad.

University of Tennessee Animal nutritionist Dr. Warren Gill said you cant afford not to creep feed in todays day and age especially if you are selling calves at the sale barn or for freezer beef which is where I make most of my money is on freezer beef. It will add about 80 more pounds of gain to an animal. That is about 80 more dollars in my pocket. So unless you have ever creep fed and made 80 more dollars per head then you dont know what you are talking about.

If you have got grass, you can just hold the calves another 45 days and get the same 80 lbs without having to put a big feed bill on your Capital One card.

Creeping is a good for preweaning calves they will be used to eating grain when you do wean. I will start to creep about a month before i wean. As for running fresh weaned calves 45 days on grass and getting them to gain 80 lb i dought that will work, those calves would be ever stockers dream.

Latest posts