Starting South Polls

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes they are and I will call him again I'm sure. My next hurdle is castrating my bull...he was born July 4th, I was advised to wait 3 months... someone else said day one should've been done...reading about the pain and issues... I hate to have to do that...I kinda wish I had an old retired farmer living downstairs...lol... some decisions are easier for men I believe.

Yes they are and I will call him again I'm sure. My next hurdle is castrating my bull...he was born July 4th, I was advised to wait 3 months... someone else said day one should've been done...reading about the pain and issues... I hate to have to do that...I kinda wish I had an old retired farmer living downstairs...lol... some decisions are easier for men I believe.
Banding a bull calf at day one has so little pain involved they barely notice it. They might walk funny for a few minutes but in a half hour they are just being calves. No blood, no open wound, no infection. A calf born on July 4th is likely small enough you could still band it. A good picture with something of a known size for reference might be a good idea.

And you DO have old retired farmers here on this site. The question is, which one do you trust and how much will you overthink what they suggest...

Banding a bull calf at day one has so little pain involved they barely notice it. They might walk funny for a few minutes but in a half hour they are just being calves. No blood, no open wound, no infection. A calf born on July 4th is likely small enough you could still band it. A good picture with something of a known size for reference might be a good idea.

And you DO have old retired farmers here on this site. The question is, which one do you trust and how much will you overthink what they suggest...
ok : ) I won't over think what you've suggested. Just happen to have this shot, but I'll try to get something better tomorrow. (the grass is kinda a known size : )

Attachments

• IMG_3C9432E51D55-1.jpeg
    IMG_3C9432E51D55-1.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
We used to band older calves as my Pap would wait till they were all born and then have us do it. It worked out fine but was much harder. I now try to grab them day 1. Easier to catch, hold, band, and likely easier on them.

The answer in my opinion, it doesn't matter. Do what is easiest for you on your farm. Due to the terrain here you don't always find them on day 1. I band at 3 months or so (no hard and fast rule). I put everything in the corral, kick the cows out and leave the calves in. Run them down the alley and into the chute, all done. I have banded right after they were born as well. Doesn't matter, don't make it harder than it is.

I have a Brangus Cow, about 5 years old with a swollen knee joint. She limps lightly on that leg. It is her front left leg. I have noticed that she has this come and go. Any ideas or suggestions?

I have a Brangus Cow, about 5 years old with a swollen knee joint. She limps lightly on that leg. It is her front left leg. I have noticed that she has this come and go. Any ideas or suggestions?
A picture would help. Any other symptoms? Are you saying sometimes it's swollen and sometimes not?

Latest posts