Starting South Polls

Help Support CattleToday:

LauMo

Reaction score
Hi I'm a newbie. I've had a few cow a year now this past May. Had two AI with South Poll…I do have an issue…read one I joined now…My 15 day old heifer has been limping on front leg. Nothing in hoof….seems like shoulder not sure..it's been 4 days no improvement but not worse either. Local farmers said wait…I'm open to any helpful suggestions!
This video is from Friday…no change.
Thank you!
I had to crop it to 3 seconds to get the video to upload…hope you can see something.
View attachment IMG_6070.MOV

Hi I'm a newbie. I've had a few cow a year now this past May. Had two AI with South Poll…I do have an issue…read one I joined now…My 15 day old heifer has been limping on front leg. Nothing in hoof….seems like shoulder not sure..it's been 4 days no improvement but not worse either. Local farmers said wait…I'm open to any helpful suggestions!
This video is from Friday…no change.
Thank you!
I had to crop it to 3 seconds to get the video to upload…hope you can see something.
View attachment 32852
It could be anything and slow to heal. If you've inspected and found nothing obvious you might need to be patient and see what happens.
I found a calf hanging from its back leg in a tree and it was never right but it remained healthy and gained weight with the rest of them.

It could be anything and slow to heal. If you've inspected and found nothing obvious you might need to be patient and see what happens.
I found a calf hanging from its back leg in a tree and it was never right but it remained healthy and gained weight with the rest of them.
Thank you so much! Learning patience is hard😊
What are you breeding South Poll to?
Both of my mamma cows are charolais, red angus and wagyu

@LauMo . need to enter your location on your profile. There is hardly a question you can ask the board that this info isn't needed to get you an accurate answer, Save your self having to answer every time someone ask where you are from. And that will happen every time you post.

Welcome!

Hard to tell from your video, other than she's clearly limping and you stated nothing in the hoof. Is there noticeable swelling anywhere, specifically in her joints? Have you checked for snake bite marks? Is the area hot to the touch and does she have a temp? Could be anything or maybe just a tweak or got stepped on, but more info would be helpful. I'd suggest sending pics to your vet (with aforementioned info).

Welcome!

Hard to tell from your video, other than she's clearly limping and you stated nothing in the hoof. Is there noticeable swelling anywhere, specifically in her joints? Have you checked for snake bite marks? Is the area hot to the touch and does she have a temp? Could be anything or maybe just a tweak or got stepped on, but more info would be helpful. I'd suggest sending pics to your vet (with aforementioned info).
No noticeable swelling at all, I called a vet today and left a message about sending pics, waiting to hear back. I will try to feel her, (if she lets me) for hot spots. I doubt it was a bite, I'm definitely leaning towards one of the others may have bumped her, or she took a fall playing with the bull who is 4 days older and growing in leaps and bounds! Thanks for the advise! Hoping it heals.

The vet sad the lameness is concerning to him, he's coming tomorrow to check her out. Hopefully I'll be able to get her in the head catch…she is so small.

The vet sad the lameness is concerning to him, he's coming tomorrow to check her out. Hopefully I'll be able to get her in the head catch…she is so small.
What @Travlr said. Or, I've had them that small in the head catch but I've also just got them into the chute and I'll get in with them, snub 'em up to a corner. At that age, even a halter if you have a panel to secure her against a wall or something. Glad the vet is coming out and good luck, please update.

So we got in the chute with her, it worked perfect. Vet said it was Joint ill, gave her a shot of Macrocyn. today her knee was visibly swollen and he said her navel was large...what ever that means. Thank you all for your help!! So grateful for this forum!

So we got in the chute with her, it worked perfect. Vet said it was Joint ill, gave her a shot of Macrocyn. today her knee was visibly swollen and he said her navel was large...what ever that means. Thank you all for your help!! So grateful for this forum!
Glad your vet was out! I've only had one case of navel ill and caught it before it segued to the joints. My vet had me give 2 rounds of Resflor Gold and it cleared up. You can see how swollen his navel is:
1690456429719.jpeg

Update: She never had navel ill / joint ill....it was an injury...she stopped limping about a week ago. I'm so new to cattle and the vet that checked her said she had a large navel...2 shots of anti biotic later...I learned the Senapol breed have more sheath and navel than regular boss Taurus because of the heat tolerance., which is why her navel was larger. Also looking at videos of calves with navel ill they were visibly sick and weak...she never was, it was just a limp. So $240 later, unnecessary anti biotics...and her poop is now beyond belief stinky... : / But so thankful she is fine.

Thanks for the update! Something else you learned: vets are human and can make mistakes. I also learned that lesson the expensive and hard way, but it taught me to trust my gut and it all worked out well in the end.

Latest posts