Starting problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Fred Belknap

Reaction score
My tractor will start when it is cold but when it is hot it fires up like it is going to start and immediately dies. It is a Landini with Perkins diesel motor. I had it in the shop and they put a new fuel pump on it and a new return fuel line to the tank. It seemed to work ok for a little while. Then I shut it off while it is warm and it won't start. It is a three cylinder 52hp motor with 2400 hours. Ounce it starts it runs as good as ever until it is shut off. Hoping someone has a suggestion as I have about run out of ideas. :mad:

Fred Belknap":1jzgdyze said:
My tractor will start when it is cold but when it is hot it fires up like it is going to start and immediately dies. It is a Landini with Perkins diesel motor. I had it in the shop and they put a new fuel pump on it and a new return fuel line to the tank. It seemed to work ok for a little while. Then I shut it off while it is warm and it won't start. It is a three cylinder 52hp motor with 2400 hours. Ounce it starts it runs as good as ever until it is shut off. Hoping someone has a suggestion as I have about run out of ideas. :mad:
A " hot start" complaint on a diesel could be a number of things. Was that your original complaint? If so I would take it back to the fellows that " fixed" it...........when is the last time you had a valve adjustment? Was it a fuel contamination problem that killed the first pump ? Did they address the cause?

I had a similar problem with an old international that the fuel tank was under the hood over the motor. I put an insulating blanket arond the fuel tank and it was fine after that. Had to do with the fuel being to hot to atomize or some such

Guys thanks for the replies. I found my problem. The starter switch was bad, the motor would run as long as it was in the start position and when it kicked back to run it would quit. After a new fuel pump, new fuel filter , new fuel lines , cleaning the sediment bowl filter and the filter inside the fuel tank it turns out to be an electrical problem. Wasted a day and half on it but sure glad it runs. I had to put a used switch on it as the dealer was out of starter switches, I have to wiggle it around a little to get to engage the starter. It's on order. Like he said it don't look like next week is going to be very good hay weather around here anyway.
Fred

You said ¨My tractor will start when it is cold¨ so I´m guessing when cold the switch operated as it should . So what heats up the starter switch ? Do you mean the Solenoid?

tytower":f5yy8hqs said:
You said ¨My tractor will start when it is cold¨ so I´m guessing when cold the switch operated as it should . So what heats up the starter switch ? Do you mean the Solenoid?

I switched out the solenoid with one that works and there wasn't any difference. Why the switch doesn't work when the motor is hot I don't know, it is just warm from the motor, not hot like you can't touch it.The solenoid run directly off the switch.
Fred

Latest posts