Start capacitor.

Help Support CattleToday:

Good multi-meters have a capacitance function. Barring that, check it with an ohm meter. Should start out with a low reading and quickly increase to a point you can't measure. What you're seeing is the capacitor charge but not discharge.
If the capacitor is bad under normal conditions you would see the motor attempt to start but fail. You can probably tell if the motor is getting power but not starting.

Good multi-meters have a capacitance function. Barring that, check it with an ohm meter. Should start out with a low reading and quickly increase to a point you can't measure. What you're seeing is the capacitor charge but not discharge.
If the capacitor is bad under normal conditions you would see the motor attempt to start but fail. You can probably tell if the motor is getting power but not starting.
Gotcha. I can't see the pump of course. I'm getting a chatter or buzz from the pumpsaver. Typically you would get a click on turning it on then water.... maybe a relay??

Pumpsaver...
I believe works off current draw. A hot pump draws more current. Excessive current draw triggers the pumpsaver to shut of power for a certain (adjustable) amount of time.

Gotcha. I can't see the pump of course. I'm getting a chatter or buzz from the pumpsaver. Typically you would get a click on turning it on then water.... maybe a relay??
A relay would chatter in a low power or short circuit condition too. Can you measure power into and coming out of the capacitor? If it's not that it's likely your pump.

I'm not a plumber but I do fix electric motors. The number one thing that I see go bad on single phase electric motors is capacitors. Number two would be connections at the capacitors, followed by start switches. Relays and start switches are further down the list. Testing capacitors is much easier with a capacitor tester. Electric supply store might be able to test your capacitor for you.

My tip is when you replace a capacitor throw it out straight away even if you think it might be OK. I will only keep new capacitors as previously I have tested a motor with a capacitor I thought might be good but wasn't and was still in the dark plus used capacitors I think deteriorate with storage.

Ken

How would one go about testing the start capacitor in a pumpsaver well control box.... safely
Just thought of this, a day late I know, short across the capacitor terminals before touching, use a screwdriver with a plastic handle. Capacitors store energy and release it instantly. They can light up your day.

My last experience with a well pump that would not start was fire ants in the contacts of the pressure switch. Fire ants seem to be attracted to anything electrical and jam up the contacts until they won't conduct enough electricity to start a motor. Circuit breakers, HVAC contactors, light switches, relays, fence chargers - all opportunities for fire ants to cause problems.

Simme, you mention fire ants causing problems.

My nephew has an appliance repair business, and tells me of times when folks don't keep their kitchen range clean. He's seen so many roaches around the burners and in the back controls they short out the control panel. That's the most expensive part on the range, and if the appliance is very old it may not be available, and has to be rebuilt or the unit replaced.

I'd check the ohm reading on the windings of the motor if you have access to it, and shorts or opens will be a big problem.. it's probably something that's easier to test than the capacitance and *might* be the problem

An easy way to tell if a start capacitor is bad is to give the motor a start command then spin the motor shaft. Be careful and use a screw driver or something. The clicking you describe sounds more like a contactor not pulling in though. Hope you got it fixed, if not a control circuit pic might help.

Latest posts