Star Lake Dispersal

Help Support CattleToday:

We went to the sale-got there late during Friday's sale and was there all day Sat. Lot one brought 16,200 and the high selling cow brought 175,000. We went mainly because we admire their program and this was the last chance to go. We came back empty handed as I suspected we would. We saw alot of nice cattle though.

So I just got back to new jersey from the sale. Bought a few lots of embryos, a bred heifer, and a preg recip. I stayed within my budget and got two cows and ten embryos total. The sale impressed me with the quality of cattle since I have only been to sales around the nj, pa, and maryland area. I spoke with a few old timers that knew there cattle but had wallets tighter than a ducks ass (and thats waterproof) so they were just lookin. I got there on thursday around 2 and stayed till dark. Lots were scattered everywhere with no map thursday. Friday they had them separated with maps. I played a little more conservative friday and didnt get the lots I had my eye on. The sale ran so quick to get through all the lots you really had to know what you wanted and had no time to think. I have pics and videos I gotta post of the herds bulls like shock, lock and load and advance if anyone wanted to see what they really looked like. I was never impresssed with bright future or shock and all. If anyone watched the sale you could tell not many people were because montie had to give a pep talk to get 5000 grand for lot 1 before two guys started going at it. Almost all the lots sired by shock and all went for less than other sires in general. There was a lot of people who went to the sale just to watch. The unfortunate thing is since they didnt study the cattle outside they took all the seats so all the real buyers stood in the back. I know Im whining but when I fly across the country to spend 20 grand I dont wanna peek over 30 people that are there for free food and beer. It was a good learning experience to see the quality of cattle and make me feel a lot better about doing a sale online. Oh and insurance was 12.5%. I pay less than that for two 60,000 trucks and my farm. What a racket for 30 days.

Lot 447 preg recip Spiridge Kessey/ About Time embryo (Flushmate to lot 33,38,39 total 65,000)
Lot 774 bred heifer Western Wrangler / Ricki lynn
Lot 402 3 embryos On Cloud Nine/ revolution
Lot 344 3 embryos Orabel/ Quantum (I really liked the quantum heifers and should have just took him for 1800)
Lot 279 4 embryos Bright Lula/ About Time

Sounds like you had a successful trip. However you got ripped off big time on the Insurance unless it is an accident policy of some kind. Most only sell full mortality that I know of. Here is one of the brokers I deal with on a regular basis. This guy is at 2.4% on a 30 day policy with a $100 minimum on cattle. You should cancel that policy and go with him. http://www.grassrootsgenetics.com/lives ... urance.php . I have delt with several others and never heard of a rate that high.

Circle H Ranch

It was crowded saturday I got there around 11:00 and you couldn't get in the sale arena.I met a friend there and we finally squeezed in behind the bleachers when the young bulls started selling and he bought a young shock and awe son.
Why did shock and awe only sell for $16,000? :???:

ousoonerfan22":1hczih1b said:
Why did shock and awe only sell for $16,000? :???:

A 7.4 BW EPD, with some accuracy supporting it, pretty well disqualifies him for use - except for the showring crowd. I had never seen the bull in person before, but after seeing him and his dam in person, along with some "range ready" older bulls that were sired by him, I'd say that he was - and probably always been - blessed in the "white muscle" department. That's not totally a negative, but there were other bulls there that I'd much rather have brought home to use.

What did you guys think of the Bismark calves? Found a couple that where super thick but a heifer that was painful to watch walk.

I never got insurance. The insurance rep was talkin to a guy in front of me who bought a bred heifer. It sounded ridiculous to me. What does it cover anyway just the cow before she is loaded on the truck because the trucker has to carry insurance til shes at my place right? Maybe he was talkin about something else but he was literally two feet in front of me and i heard most of the conversation. None of the bismark calves really stood out to me. I tried to walk through the pens and not look at the book till I picked out few I liked the looks of but then again everyone has there own look.

Well, it's over!

Probably the greatest spectacle in a Hereford related event that's taken place since the Millenium and $4,000,000+ in cattle have been claimed by their new owners. Even if some of that is "funny money" that was spent by the principles, it still represents a significant investment that's betting on the future of the Hereford breed.

I arrived at Star Lake Cattle Ranch, just after noon on Thursday, the day before the sale. I wasn't alone! There were more folks looking at the cattle on Thursday than I've seen attending some Hereford sales on sale day.

My first thoughts – an impressive setting, but the cowboy in me looked at the new housing developments looming above the horizon in three directions and I felt a little sadness, knowing what the pending "doom" of this ranch likely is. I was thinking that, perhaps some day, a historic marker will be placed in its honor among the houses – like Dr. Harris's old place near Fort Worth.

A large herd of black recipient cows were in the pasture on the west side of the ranch road leading up to the sale barn. Looking at them, I noticed their great condition and more than ample size, which also prepared me for my first look at Star Lake's registered cowherd. The donor cows were huge! I'd guess most wouldn't weigh less than 1600 lb. and some of them might press down the scales at a ton plus. I hadn't seen cows that large since my visit to the Ochs Bros production sale back in the 90s. And here I thought that moderation was the current trend!

A survey of the Star Lake herd bull battery beforehand had reminded me of a battle scarred company of soldiers. There were the dead - Online, Git-R-Done, Bright Kelly, 29F, Legacy; the discharged - Palliadin, Pounder, Battleground, Magnum; the wounded and disabled - Bright Future, Bogart, S109, Quantum, Lock-N-Load; the veterans - Breakout, Can Am, Moneymaker; and the young and yet to be proven replacement troops – Timeless, Jail Break, Makin Time. Seeing the bulls in person that were still living and present did little to change my impression. As I walked around the grassy area stationed below the office and sale barn, it was Timeless and his brother, Makin Time, that were doing all the pawing and bellowing, letting the other herd bulls know that THEY were nearby. And the veterans were paying them no mind. The veterans had probably been staked out in that area before in their electrified pens – when sales past were being held. Shock and Awe and Lock-N-Load were side by side, with only two electric strands keeping them about 10 foot apart. I walked down that alley between them, looking both of them over. I quickly came to the conclusion that I liked Lock-N-Load better, even if I could tell that he was rather annoyed that I had invaded the space between him and Shock and Awe. I would have never dreamed that either of them would eventually sell for the comparatively low prices that they did….but I guess bulls with +7.4 BW EPDs or those that can't pass a semen check should have a decreased value, even in a maniacal atmosphere.

I walked back up the hill to the office, looking for a map to direct me and found that they had none for Thursday. So I set out to find the lots that I had previously circled from looking at the pedigrees, videos, and catalog. I had 15 heifer calves, 3 bull calves, and a pair on my short list to look at. There were also a couple of bulls out of Keysha in the "ranch ready" bulls that I wanted to see for reference. Spotting Lot #233, the pair I had marked, was easy as she was the only cow in the sale with a small calf. As I walked down in the narrow trap to look her over, I couldn't help but notice that Olivia and her bull calf were among the group in the next pen. And on the opposite side, the Lot # 181 cow and her bull calf stood out. Olivia was pretty well everything that I expected, a little more moderate framed than most, with a lot of thickness, a decent udder, and a maternal cow look to her. The Lot #181 cow was massive and her 1000 lb. + bull calf that she had at side was equally impressive.

It took a couple of hours but I eventually found all of the heifer and bull calves that I had previously picked. The bull calves I had picked were a little disappointing, compared to what I thought I was seeing in the video. I had Lot #226 picked as maybe the top bull calf in the sale, and he was also featured in the Star Lake promotion piece on The American Rancher. In person, I found him to have the great profile that I had seen in the video, but from the rear he just didn't appear as thick as some of the other bull calves that I had seen. At a glance, I was sure that there were better bull calves there than the three that I had picked from the videos. I made a pledge to myself that I would never make a significant investment in a herd bull prospect again - without first seeing him in person.

The heifer calves were all attractive and impressive, with no real surprises. But I tend to be more forgiving when it comes to choosing heifers, relying more on the pedigree that I'm looking for and only eliminating one when I see faults that bother me. And there weren't a lot of faults in these calves.

As I walked back by the office and back toward my car, I once again surveyed the scene and started processing what I had just seen. I had always wondered about the Star Lake breeding program, because it never had any cohesiveness or "breeding plan" that I could recognize. I realized that in my search for some complex breeding program that I had overlooked the simple and obvious answer. The goal was to take the best individual cows that they could find and flush them to the best complimentary bulls that they could find. Phenotype is the primary goal - and everything else is secondary or maybe even unimportant. It doesn't really matter if a donor cow can have a calf naturally – or milk for it – for there's a whole herd of recipient cows located over on the other hill that can fill that role. And the goal is to produce progeny from these elite individuals "en masse" and market them with generally little intention of retention in the herd. Every calf looked show ring ready and had the appearance that they had been pushed to their limit to get the maximum size and condition on them for the sale. It was about that time that everything started taking on an unrealistic and unnatural feel to me. I declined the invitation to stay for dinner on Thursday night, opting instead for chicken and dumplings at the local Cracker Barrel and a chance to organize my thoughts.

We know what happened in the next two days. The emotional tributes, the overflowing crowd of spectators, and the bidders from all over vying for a portion of this final offering from Star Lake. I took it all in, but the spectacle had taken on an atmosphere not unlike what I suspect attending a WWE event would be like. Unrealistic! Maybe on the verge of being surrealistic! It was Star Lake RAW and the selling of Olivia was the main event!

Perhaps this is the future of cattle breeding, where a very few elite individuals produce all the embryos and the surrogates do all the work. If it is, I'm reminded once again of that line in Don Edwards song: "While progress toots her greedy horn and makes its motor buzz, I thanks the Lord that I was born no later than I was!"

[youtube]glTn8Qs71Yo[/youtube]

Good last 3 paragraphs George, I would pick Cracker Barrel any day.

This does not have to be the future of the breed. Cashing out of this hype and unreality is the only way. The future is in the breeds past, find your type of cattle, close your herd, and breed for an end purpose.

The future is in the breeds past, find your type of cattle, close your herd, and breed for an end purpose.

From the 4th. world, I agree 100% with your statement.
Enjoyed and appreciate Hereford.US's description of the sale. Thank you.

I think we are being a little hard on Star Lake. They aren't Neil Trask, Frank Felton, the Coopers, the Holdens, Jim Lents, Louis Latimer, or the Wyoming Hereford Ranch in its hay day who molded and shaped a line of cattle to fit into their preferences (whether those of us on the outside were happy with that phenotype or not); but Star Lake never pretended to be. Star Lake was not the developer of a certain line of cattle through the slow arduous science of linebreeding. They crossed popular genetics with popular genetics (closely related or not) to create, multiply, and promote popular genetics.....particularly for the show circuit.......and they succeeded. There are lots of herds like this now days (more so with Angus) that promote a bull use him on dozens of cows of all different lineages with more emphasis on profile and EPDs than I might like.....that then turn around and find a new bull to promote (son, sib, cousin, or simply the next big thing). I am something of a romantic in that I like the image of a young man selecting a group of foundation cows, slowly working with them, rarely bringing in outside genetics, rarely parting with productive females, and crafting some sort of genetic masterpiece after generations of cattle type and trait selection and maybe two or three generations of the ranch family. Realistically though most of us don't have the resources, the skill, or the patience to pull that off and we aren't going to live that long........much less make a living doing it. Hey if I had a 10 to 15 year time horizon and $6 million +++ to play with I see nothing wrong with pursuing the cattle business like star Lake did.

To George - thanks for some of the best reading I have ever seen on the internet. You really conveyed the scene and I think the truth. I appreciate you taking the time to write that post.

Perhaps this is the future of cattle breeding, where a very few elite individuals produce all the embryos and the surrogates do all the work.

I personally don't think this is the future. This approach works against the diversity we need. What happens when 2/3 of the cows in the national herd come from a very few genetic donors???

Brandonm22":rsjson2s said:
... I am something of a romantic in that I like the image of a young man selecting a group of foundation cows, slowly working with them, rarely bringing in outside genetics, rarely parting with productive females, and crafting some sort of genetic masterpiece after generations of cattle type and trait selection and maybe two or three generations of the ranch family. Realistically though most of us don't have the resources, the skill, or the patience to pull that off and we aren't going to live that long........much less make a living doing it.

To Brandon - I share your attraction to a "romantic" approach. However I differ with you on a couple minor points. I don't think it needs to be a "young" man, at least I hope not! This is what I am trying to do, if on a small scale, and I am not very "young". I believe this is what the Hereford breed needs for the future, rather than the SL approach related by George.

With a variety of decent foundation stock, taking data, and using that data I think we can develop a herd that meets our needs much quicker than your (human) generations, and with a lot fewer resources. And I think with cattle prices as they are and likely will be over the coming few years, it can be profitable along the way rather than a sink hole for millions. I believe the future of the Hereford breed will be determined by the ability to efficiently produce a high quality commercial beef product that people want on their supper table, and do it with minimal inputs, not by how many winners circle photos and ribbons are on the mantle.

The world is moving to doing more with less. I see the Hereford breed with smaller more efficient cows that can calve on their own, stay healthy, use the woods for shelter and wean a 205 day calf over 50% of their own weight on grass only but produce a good sized marbled ribeye and other beef without excessive bone... This is the future and I think we can get there maybe quicker than might be thought in the past. I think there is a role for the smaller, maybe part time operation in this future.

The key to any engineering design project is to have, at the beginning, a clear picture (target "specs") in your head of what you want to end up with. That picture may change slightly as you go along but usually not much. If you use the available tools you can often turn that "picture" in your head into reality much quicker than most people realize. It is not easy, nor quick, but very rewarding as you get closer.

jmho.

Jim

(still a beginner with a very small, mostly commercial, herd)

Heres some pics from the sale

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

Advance s109

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

Lock and load

IMG_0156.jpg

On cloud Nine

IMG_0143.jpg

Apollonia

IMG_0145.jpg