Star 5

Help Support CattleToday:

northcreek

Reaction score
I have been reading the boards for a couple of years and finally took the plunge to join in. I am looking at some Star 5 replacement heifers Gert/hereford, and just wanted opinions and experiences anyone has had using them. Planning on crossing with a Charolais. Thanks in advance!

You are on the right track. That cross will be great and you will have great calves. A buddy on here does the same thing. Where are you located?

Thanks for the replies and opinions. I am in the Northeast corner of Alabama. I have a small heard of about 40 momma cows and they are aging and will need to be replaced soon.
I have always liked the looks of the cross but never had any. My main concern was prolapse. I have heard that It can be a problem with Santa Gertrudis cattle and didn't know if the cross had the same problems.

You are not far from me. I can put you in touch with a few guys who raise star fives that are hereford cross. I have been back in the gert business for 3 calving seasons and I have not had a gert prolapse.

midtncattle":2mi4rdwz said:
You are not far from me. I can put you in touch with a few guys who raise star fives that are hereford cross. I have been back in the gert business for 3 calving seasons and I have not had a gert prolapse.

Thanks! I am about an hour south of Chattanooga straight down I 59. I have a neighbor that raises them and I have already talked to him about hopefully getting a few this fall and then another group at the first part of next year. However if that falls through I will definitely contact you.

Thanks for the welcoming. I've enjoyed reading for a while and decided it was time to stop riding the pine and get into the game.

I don't think you could go wrong there. The SG x herf make great looking cows, adding the Char would be a great terminal animal and make a keeper as well. Years ago we had some Gert x Char crosses and liked the cows.

We have a good many Gert xChar cross cows and they are great. I would recommend them to anybody. We only have 6 straight gerts left. They have gone out of favor in our part of the country. I really like them though

I'll have 5 gert/char heifers to market in December/January. I believe Bigfoot has his eye on them! LOL

Pdfangus, thanks for the advise I should have been more specific. I have a 2.5 year old 5/8 angus 3/8 simmental that I plan on breaking them to for their first calf.

Latest posts