stall or pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

It can help the training process to have a young horse stalled, because getting worked becomes something they look forward to. They get out of the boring stall for a training session. It also helps him learn to rely on his trainer to be his leader, if he is not turned out with other horses who can fill that role. So you develop a horse with a good work ethic that views you as his leader. Horses need to learn alot of things to be useful, stalling a horse during training can speed up a couple of important ones.

cowpunk'd":3svdn7f3 said:
It can help the training process to have a young horse stalled, because getting worked becomes something they look forward to. They get out of the boring stall for a training session. It also helps him learn to rely on his trainer to be his leader, if he is not turned out with other horses who can fill that role. So you develop a horse with a good work ethic that views you as his leader. Horses need to learn alot of things to be useful, stalling a horse during training can speed up a couple of important ones.

I have told folks that I make my horses wait and follow a specific routine when I do feed them in the stall. They tell me I am crazy for going in with them at feeding time. My logic is, if I can exhibit my dominance during his feeding frenzy he will develop a better respect for me. They won't stick their heads in the bucket until I say "ok".

I did have a problem with one that kicked me as he walked by me in the stall. We had a meeting of the minds immediately and he no longer kicks.

flaboy":2o7mgs2k said:
cowpunk'd":2o7mgs2k said:

I have told folks that I make my horses wait and follow a specific routine when I do feed them in the stall. They tell me I am crazy for going in with them at feeding time. My logic is, if I can exhibit my dominance during his feeding frenzy he will develop a better respect for me. They won't stick their heads in the bucket until I say "ok".

I did have a problem with one that kicked me as he walked by me in the stall. We had a meeting of the minds immediately and he no longer kicks.

We don't normally feed grain so I don't have to go into stalls or pens, but I do a similar thing in that I will not feed a pawing horse, nor will I feed a horse that knocks the lid of his/her feeder down after I have raised it to put the hay in. If I approach a feeder and they are pawing, I walk away. Same thing with knocking the feeder lid down. I wait about 5 minutes, and try it again. If the same thing happens, then I go find something to do for about a half hour or so. If the same thing happens, then I put the hay just outside of their reach and go find something to do again. 4th time it happens, they have the entire night or day (as the case may be) to reconsider their behaviour.