Breed or not???

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I have a registered TWH mare directly out of Silver Design (4 time world grand champion TWH stud). She is about 16 yrs old and very healthy. I want to sell her. She is broke to ride and used to belong to a TV trainer and is trained well. I don't have time to ride anymore. My thought is that she might be more valuable bred to a high quality stud. She is mostly white with a bit of grey underlayment in her coat. I found a high quality dapple blue roan stud that is a rising star on the show circuit that I could breed her to for a 350.00 stud fee. I am thinking about breeding her and after she is confirmed bred sell her. The stud fee comes with a live foal guarantee. Will the extra 350.00 be worth it and will the fact that she would be bred increase her value or increase the chances of a sale? Would the foal would be a dapple gray or blue roan? I'm not sure how the color thing works with horses.

Probably not worth it. If someone wants to buy her for breeding they won't mind breeding her, and if they want to buy her for riding they won't want her bred.

I would'nt go to the expense of breeding her. Horses around here are a dime a dozen. My neighbor use to sell his registerd 6 month old quarter colts for fifteen hundred to two grand, now he can't get two hundred. He has seven two year old colts that he's asking five hundred dollars for, he has them all over the internet, and don't think he has sold one. The last sale I went to, you could buy a good riding horse for 150 to 175 dollars. Not a show piece, just a good riding horse. You could buy colts for 10 to 25 dollars. The sale was to weeks ago.

Hoss,

I have a older grey made that I didn't breed for a couple of years because of the market. She is one of the best TWH brood mares to ever grace the business. I trained walking horses for years and started many of her colts. I decided to breed her last year and was blessed to get a beautiful black/white spotted stud colt out of her. I've already turned down 1000 dollars for the colt. The one thing to remember is COLOR is a must in today's market. I would stay away from any roan studs as you never know what you're going to get. I would breed to a really good homozygous spotted horse that is also registered as a TWH. This would ensure you have a spotted colt. Breed to a stud that is known for his woods awareness. Trail horses with color are you're best bet to make a good sale. PM if you're interested and I can point you to the stud we use. If you're lucky enough to get a stud colt from this guy selling the colt should be easy.

Kyle

Breed her to a good gaited Jack. I know where a good one is in Eagleville, Tn. The man that owns him has a land scapeing business in Eagleville.I agree with skeeter swatter.

What a shame that in the TWH breed color is a primary reason to buy. I'm a QH, paint, guy and while I haven't had a mare bred in a few years ( because they are money pit Denver :lol: ), I did buy a really nice mare a few years ago in foal by a nice stud (world champion). While the colt was a great colored paint horse, he had the worse mind of any colt I every dealt with (i still call him satan's own) I cut him and dumped him. I would not buy a bred mare "for extra dollars" on the mare. I would rather buy a mare I had control of the foal, not to say a bred mare is not a reason not to buy, but I would not consider it a extra value ......$350 is not worth the effort and expensense for a few extra $.

Just my opinion.

Alan

skeeter swatter":3nvlm8l9 said:
Probably not worth it. If someone wants to buy her for breeding they won't mind breeding her, and if they want to buy her for riding they won't want her bred.

Good advice. A man fooling with brood mares has a breeding program in place. i hadn't seen her travel, so I can't say what she is worth to ride. Walkng horses were never my thing. The quarter horse market has fallen off sharply.

I might add, if she is 16 and never been bred, you may have some big expenses trying to get her to settle. (If she ever would.)

There is a "color calculator" that you can use to find the likelihood of the different outcomes. I just google "horse color calculator" and it is part of horsetesting.com. I would definitely have her checked by a vet for breeding soundness before going to the expense if she is a maiden or its been a while at that age, though.

I haven't decided what I am going to do yet. She was used as a brood mare previously and has had a few foals. The last one was 3 years ago. Thanks for all of the replies.

I would not breed her. It would not increase her value and may hurt getting her sold. Not everyone wants a foal.
If someone wants her as a brood mare, chances are they will know what stallion they would want to breed her to.

Latest posts