Squeeze Chutes

Help Support CattleToday:

I looked at the Rancher and SO4. They had a SC93, but it showed to have the foot pedals that knocked you in the shin. Since they said they had changed the pedals, I wonder if it is an old picture. They priced the Rancher SO191, with the automatic head gate alone for $1599.99 Then the SO4 at $2448.99. The SC93 was priced at $2250. Then the Wishbone Carriage CA 93, at $469.99. The palp cage is $374.99. I figured the SO4 with all items at $3293.27 and the Rancher would be $2444.97. The Rancher being the better deal, is there that much difference in how they operate? Is there anything on the Rancher that you wish was changed because of it being awkward to handle? I wish that I could see both models. They have the SO4 at Rural King and I am going to look at it this weekend. If they had a Rancher, then I could actually compare the two.

The main difference I've noticed is the shin knockers(now eliminated) and the rear gate. The Rancher has a sliding gate and the others have a scissors(sort of) gate. I prefer the slider, but it need to be kept well greased on the rubbing parts or it will hang up.

dun

I found a new-older "Heavy Duty Chute" made by Powder River. The "Value Chute" they make now, is a lighter weight, and recommends no cows over 1100 lbs but I liked the design of the "VC." The man at the Co-op said that the "Value Chute was too light weight and the cattle would tear it up. He had worked with a HD chute, and said it was so easy to work with and would take any cow or bull. The "HD Chute" is made just like the "Value Chute," but a much heavier gauge of metal. They stopped making it a few years ago, and replaced it with their "XL" model, a big price difference. I called Powder River to find more about it. What I like about the "HD Chute" is that when you squeeze the cow, both sides pull in. I liked the drop rear door, since that is what I worked with before. And the head gate was simple to work. The head gate just opens all the way and the cow can go out the front or from the side. Since it has been sitting at the store for over two years, they will give a big discount. I think I will go get it Thursday. :D

I have a "Filson" out of protection Kansas. I t is very heavy duty and has served me well. Only problem is that the head gate is too small for my bull, which I guess is a common problem with all chutes. I just put a rope around his neck, half loop it arounf his nose,and tie it off to the side of the chute (along with the squeeze) to put his ear tags in, and vaccinate him. works ok.

I bought the Heavy Duty Powder River chute this morning. I talked him down another $100. I got a heck of a deal. I bought it at the right time. I saved $1867.00 Yippppeeee!

I have a powder river , it has been a very good investment . it is very heavy built . We also have the tub and alley with roll doors . I am well pleased with the whole system .

I just still have to go with the Priefert, If my grandad can use one for over 20 years and it still holds up, That will be the one I use.