Cattle Squeeze Chute for horned cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

rlrobinhood

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post, but I've been lurking for awhile, lol. Anyways, I do have a questions for you. We are new to cattle. But my daughter saved up and bought a cow, a heifer, and now we have a new calf (just born from the cow). The are all Scottish Highlands (which have horns). The heifer is super sweet and I don't think she would ever be an issue. The cow, however, is a little ornery. Not bad, but I know we wouldn't be able to doctor her or anything like that without some means of restraining her.

Our intentions are to rebreed the cow at some point and breed the heifer in a year or so. All this by AI. Because my daughter is young and we are inexperienced, I feel like we need a squeeze chute.
What I'm not sure about is squeeze chutes with horned cattle. Any insight on this?

Attached are some pictures of a squeeze I'm thinking about buying. Would this work? What are your thoughts?
I know there are other options such as just a head-gate or to squeeze between two cattle gates. But I'm really looking for just a good safe cattle handling system. (I know I'll need to build corrals and alleyways). Many thanks in advance!

…….. OK, I can't figure out how to attach pics. But its a Powder River squeeze chute. It has a scissor headgate, split tailgate, and palpation chute.

I had a Powder River Longhorn chute. Not that I had horned cattle, I bought it used and got a good deal on it. It was a very good chute and worked great for me. There is actually things in its design that I liked better than standard chutes. I had it for 5 or 6 years and sold it to a friend for what it cost me.

We raised Horned Herfs for years and always left the horns on the girls in the field. It helped them keep the herd and calves safe in my opinion.

We used and still use the Hi-Hog manual squeeze.

Works like a charm for us.

My best

L

We have horned and polled cows. I have for-most and a strong hold chutes with manual head gates. Both open as wide at the bottom as they do at the top. We get along great with both. One thing we do is feed all out cattle hay in bale rings. Even our mature horned Hereford bulls know to turn their head to get in and out of the feeder. So it's natural to them to turn their head slightly to slip their horns through the head gate.

Latest posts