Squeeze chute operation

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
When letting cattle out of your squeeze chute do you open the head gate first or let the pressure of the animals body first?

We let the pressure off first then open the head gate. Don't know if that is the right order or not. I just remember not having a squeeze chute and you just opened the headgate when you were through.

I know one thing you don't want to do and that is if you have a chute that has a side exit is to accidently open that while the cows head is still in the headgate. :eek: No trainwreck just a confused cow. :)

Gate Opener":30uc6e3f said:
We let the pressure off first then open the head gate. Don't know if that is the right order or not. I just remember not having a squeeze chute and you just opened the headgate when you were through.

I know one thing you don't want to do and that is if you have a chute that has a side exit is to accidently open that while the cows head is still in the headgate. :eek: No trainwreck just a confused cow. :)

Been there, done that...oy vey! like you said, no train wreck, fortunately.

Alice

We've done it at the same time. But most of the times it's unsqueeze, then open up.

Another thing that you DO NOT want to do is to accidently release the front gate latch with the cows neck still squeezed in the scissors! It is not a pretty sight. Don't ask me how I know. I have never done a thing like that, twice! :oops:

I have started not catching my cows head. When I helped my wifes boss he and I would move the butt bar back and then let the head loose so that they backed up. if thye rared forward they would jsut catch thmeselves again. After that we let them out the side gait.

"The Cattle Show" tonight just had a feature on "The Silencer", and they said release the head first then the squeeze.

I always release the head gate then the squeeze. Most of them usually back to the rear of the chute then... zoom! away they go out the front.

I like doing it that way because if I released the squeeze first, then they jerk around in the squeeze, ramming their head and soulders into the headgate. Just trying to make life a little easier for them. After all, I just got done setting their rear on fire with the branding iron :eek:

After seeing that show last year, we tried both. Letting the head loose before the squeeze works better for us. But I like to slide the butt bar up behind calves before letting them loose, cows don't back up as much as calves in our chute.

cfpinz

Roadapple":325oi5o4 said:
"The Cattle Show" tonight just had a feature on "The Silencer", and they said release the head first then the squeeze.

Roadapple is right. The headgate at the shoulders is what stoped the cow in the first place. If you let the body squeeze loose first, they will try to back out. If you release the head gate and wait just a second you will see the shourders slump, open the body squeeze and they will exit forward.
Mac

mcdowedd":1hrymmar said:
Roadapple":1hrymmar said:

What is "The Cattle Show"?

It's an infomercial for different cattle related products and breeds of cattle.

dun

You have to have the "RFDTV" channel on cable. RFDTV plays the same show called "the cattle show" about 3 or 4 times a week. Along with lots of horse shows, that most of these cattle guys and gals love.... :p

Alan

Dun I have never looked at it as an infomerical before, but I now believe that is right on the nose, still informitive and entertaining.

Alan

Alan":36am76ix said:
Dun I have never looked at it as an infomerical before, but I now believe that is right on the nose, still informitive and entertaining.

Alan

Listening to Cargill, Purina, etc. tout there wares so blatantly sounds to me like oreck and the guy with hair in pray can. The only thing missing is "But wait, there's more"

Latest posts