Spurs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hillary_Indiana

Reaction score
We have a TW gelding who is so sweet...has the best ground manners. It seems, though, that he has regressed a little in his feistiness (sp?) upon the first 5 minutes of riding him. The first 5 minutes you ride him he is just dangerous...today he had all 4 feet of the ground with my boyfriend on him...scared him to death. He mostly sidesteps...but sometimes whips around or rares up a little bit. I don't know what to do about this...after the first 5 minutes he is usually perfectly fine. I told my boyfriend anytime he rares up or tries to pull that crap slap him immediately. But, like I said he pretty much does it continuously for the first 5 minutes...and I don't want him to think that he's going to be treated that way everytime we ride him. I thought maybe this would be the use for spurs? We have never used them before. Or do you think it would help to lunge (sp?) him beforehand? I am not experienced and have never lunged a horse before and am not sure that he even knows how to do this. Any suggestions???

skip the spurs and trot him out a little befor you ride - maybe lay off the grain. If you don't know what you are doing with sprus you can create quite a wreck - others might enjoy watching but you could get hurt.

Aslo check equipment for fit, dirt other problems - especially if this is a new issue.

Hillary_Indiana":30epzykp said:
I thought maybe this would be the use for spurs? We have never used them before.

That would probably be the quickest way I know of to escalate a little rowdy behaviour into a full scale bucking fit. Put him in the round pen and work the pants off him, then go for a ride. Make sure he is ridden at least every other day - every day would be better (and I mean ridden until a good sweat is worked up) - until he realizes just who gets to call the shots. Wet saddle blankets go a long ways to correcting these types of problems. And, as Hippie Rancher already mentioned, if you're feeding him grain - stop. Horses that are not being ridden hard on a daily or every other day basis do not need grain in their diet, and it generally causes more problems than it solves.

Ditto on what has been said by Hippie and MS, longe the crap out of him before you get on.

Alan

Ditto on that, Longe lines can be a horseman or womens best friend. He will soon realize he is just too tired to act up. If he does it again after you longe him, then longe him again until he gets the message.

id knock that 5 min edge off in a round pen then hit the pasture with him. them first few minutes on a hot blood they can bury your head in the ground like a ostrich

Sounds like what I call coldbacked, Tack him up, and like everyone said lunge him around ,for five or ten minutes,I bet he'll stop.

slapping hitting any physical stuff will only scare them.

Work them in a round pen or on a lunge line. It will take awhile to learn voice commands or body language to tell them to stop, speed up, or slow down but even in the begining it teaches them you are in control.

I have only ridden one TW but I have seen a few before, they seem a little hot blooded so he may not learn to calm down very easily, so be patient, if you get frustrated just take a break, when I work with my horse that is my biggest mistake, I get frustrated and do stupid things

I took some of the advice...thought I'd change a couple things up today. I walked him around the field a couple of times and gave him a couple of treats. I just took things slower than normal. Plus, I changed the bit...we had been using a curb bit and I switched to a snaffle. I think that also helped. I tacked him up...slowly and talked to him the whole time. After I got him all set up I walked him around the field another couple of times. Then I got up on him and he was GREAT! I have never seen him be this good upon the first five minutes of riding. It was fantastic. Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I don't know if it was necessarily the bit...or if it was walking around with him a few times but I will do both from now on!

Hillary_Indiana":1twpd4xb said:
I took some of the advice...thought I'd change a couple things up today. I walked him around the field a couple of times and gave him a couple of treats. I just took things slower than normal. Plus, I changed the bit...we had been using a curb bit and I switched to a snaffle. I think that also helped. I tacked him up...slowly and talked to him the whole time. After I got him all set up I walked him around the field another couple of times. Then I got up on him and he was GREAT! I have never seen him be this good upon the first five minutes of riding. It was fantastic. Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I don't know if it was necessarily the bit...or if it was walking around with him a few times but I will do both from now on!
the gear might of helped but i would hold off on the treats till i was 100% sure of what it was. dont like too reward them before hand never have

Hillary_Indiana":pcjo452r said:
We have a TW gelding who is so sweet...has the best ground manners. It seems, though, that he has regressed a little in his feistiness (sp?) upon the first 5 minutes of riding him. The first 5 minutes you ride him he is just dangerous...today he had all 4 feet of the ground with my boyfriend on him...scared him to death. He mostly sidesteps...but sometimes whips around or rares up a little bit. I don't know what to do about this...after the first 5 minutes he is usually perfectly fine. I told my boyfriend anytime he rares up or tries to pull that crap slap him immediately. But, like I said he pretty much does it continuously for the first 5 minutes...and I don't want him to think that he's going to be treated that way everytime we ride him. I thought maybe this would be the use for spurs? We have never used them before. Or do you think it would help to lunge (sp?) him beforehand? I am not experienced and have never lunged a horse before and am not sure that he even knows how to do this. Any suggestions???

Most people have given you some pretty good advice. You need some more help than we can give you on a discussion board, it is a lot more to it than training a horse than most people think. But definitley learn how to lunge and transfer those aids to the saddle. Seek the help of a local professional, don't do this yourself, if you don't even know how to lunge a horse you have little chance to train one yourself unless your just real lucky.

Ray

Hillary,

I also don't think you need to hire trainer, but you should invest in lunge line if you don't have one, sure saves on the mile you put in the pasture and it does help you to read the horse better. Plus your hors will get those "bumps" out of his system quicker.

Alan

Hillary_Indiana":3bm8bnhb said:
If things are working out, why do I need to hire a professional?

I am sorry Hillary, I mis-understood in your post that the first five minutes you ride him he is dangerous and has all four feet off the ground to mean that you were having trouble - my fault that I took that as if you are having some problems, sounds like things are going well.

Good Luck, Ray

If you have a round pen its not that hard to teach them to lunge.

Just reading into your posts a bit. Im guessing the curb bit probably want a good idea for your boyfriend to be using. It can be a harsh bit if used heavy handed.

Im not saying this will work, but just out of curiosity, try a bosal and see what happens. If you do, let us know the results.

ALACOWMAN":fv270s0t said:
Hillary_Indiana":fv270s0t said:
Thanks guys...I have a longe line and I will start working with it...
cut your longe lines in to 6 feet sections they make great lead ropes. then invest in a round pen ;-)

:D :D Never thought about using a longe line for lead ropes, the big problem I see is $20 for a line and $1000 to $1500 for a good round pen. Although on occassion I have been known to "break" my round pen into sections and use them for cattle panels... not chutes just to move cattle, as a fence.

Alan