Spurs?

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":3tkmxcsi said:
Hillary_Indiana":3tkmxcsi said:
Thanks guys...I have a longe line and I will start working with it...
cut your longe lines in to 6 feet sections they make great lead ropes. then invest in a round pen ;-)

:D :D Never thought about using a longe line for lead ropes, the big problem I see is $20 for a line and $1000 to $1500 for a good round pen. Although on occassion I have been known to "break" my round pen into sections and use them for cattle panels... not chutes just to move cattle, as a fence.

Alan

My therory is if a horse is rideable then i want too be on it when he is acting up. were i can correct him horse back dont like using aids too cure every problem. although i believe in using them too my advantage . alot of folks tend too jump off and correct and get back on they aint accomplished anything

ALACOWMAN":pxe3yvl8 said:
My therory is if a horse is rideable then i want too be on it when he is acting up. were i can correct him horse back dont like using aids too cure every problem. although i believe in using them too my advantage . alot of folks tend too jump off and correct and get back on they aint accomplished anything

Yea but, if a horse knows they can get you off, by climbing or falling off they will everytime. I can ride out a small to medium buck, but I don't even want to try a NFR buck. My opinion is it's better to work the kinks out before you get on.

JMO,
Alan

Alan":bvw1on0v said:
ALACOWMAN":bvw1on0v said:

Yea but, if a horse knows they can get you off, by climbing or falling off they will everytime. I can ride out a small to medium buck, but I don't even want to try a NFR buck. My opinion is it's better to work the kinks out before you get on.

JMO,
Alan
thats what im talking about. you must have missunderstood my post. but for small habits and behaviors im going on board, im the first person too Believe in ground work but not on a broke horse. im going to get that habit out with me riding him. dont want too have too work kinks out every time i go riding

ALACOWMAN":oui2z3ff said:
Alan":oui2z3ff said:
ALACOWMAN":oui2z3ff said:

JMO,
Alan
thats what im talking about. you must have missunderstood my post. but for small habits and behaviors im going on board, im the first person too Believe in ground work but not on a broke horse. im going to get that habit out with me riding him. dont want too have too work kinks out every time i go riding

I agree with you ALACOWMAN. Problem or greenbroke horses were introduced to the summer fallow or sand draws very quickly! It didn't take too many trips up and down them to take most of the starch out of their sheets, either. That was then followed up by checking the water or moving cattle. They came home very docile and quiet. There are a lot of inexperienced riders who are simply not equipped to do it that way, though.

ALACOWMAN":1eol2fji said:
Alan":1eol2fji said:
ALACOWMAN":1eol2fji said:

JMO,
Alan

Maybe I misread your post, I agree that with small problems I'm on top. I have a filly that is very eager to go when she is fresh, I know she is going to be before I get on, so like MS said, I head for the hill and we go up it at a pretty good pace...bugs are worked out in one long climb.

But if I don't know the horse very well or as the original post stated, the horse has all four off the ground and rearing... I lunge the crap out of it, sweating and panting hard, maybe head down a little.... very tired.

Like my wife said the other day, they seem to put the jar lids on tighter as I get older, i'm sure the ground gets much harder through the years... I don't want to find out.

Alan

Alan