Spring must finally be getting close

Help Support CattleToday:

yesterday I saw my first dandelion bloom and the creeping charlie has started to bloom.....

around here these things usually happen during a warm spell in late january and certainly by February.....this year it was 3/9/2014.

most years I am having to look at getting the lawn mower going by now....not this year....

my boss and I have been out this morning looking at cover crops.....

I have seen it coming, which is why I wanted the boss to go out with me, but the state of the cover crops was awful......

The good early cover crops suffered tremendous freezing damage.....

the covers that were planted mid range did not achieve satisfactory ground cover.....

anything planted after mid October is just coming up now.....

Had wild plums blooming as well as some flowers.....freeze got them all. And it's pretty darn dry here. Had about 1/4 inch of rain at my place since 1/1/14.

TexasBred":3px0hlkb said:
Had wild plums blooming as well as some flowers.....freeze got them all. And it's pretty darn dry here. Had about 1/4 inch of rain at my place since 1/1/14.

we are so muddy that the guys can not get into the fields......

my cousin tells me he is feeding round bales by pushing them down the hill because he does not want to rut up his fields taking them out with the tractor.....fortunately he has an outdoor stockpile right near the brow of a hill.

I had to fetch some firewood yesterday and was not sure I could get in and out with the tractor but I made it....

Wish I had a little mud right now. Figure you folks are getting a bit tired of it. It will rain someday. Just none in the forecast for next 7 days.

Caustic Burno":2wzkqmpz said:
TexasBred":2wzkqmpz said:
Wish I had a little mud right now. Figure you folks are getting a bit tired of it. It will rain someday. Just none in the forecast for next 7 days.

Drive down here and you can haul back all you want.

Walk off the edge of the concrete slab at my barn and it will test to make sure you have 16 inch tops on your boots.

TexasBred":39isv1rj said:

Supposed to get some rain today. I wonder if it'll be enough to help my tank?

slick4591":1x5ully4 said:
TexasBred":1x5ully4 said:

Raining here now why I am sitting in the house.
Have a funeral to go to this afternoon.
Supposed to have some thunderstorms this afternoon, figure they will move in just about graveside time.

What's kind of funny is that since I posted about the geese I haven;t seen or heard a single one.

Caustic Burno":1z70t0l1 said:
dun":1z70t0l1 said:
What's kind of funny is that since I posted about the geese I haven;t seen or heard a single one.

Set your recliner on the porch bet it helps.
Maybe they're smart enough to know it's going to snow a couple of inches here tomorrow.

slick4591":2n0m1r7d said:
TexasBred":2n0m1r7d said:

You get any of this rain? Been raining here all day.

It misted on and off until about 6, then we got 1.95 from then to now. Lots of runoff so the tank probably caught some. I'll find out tomorrow.

Monday Morning here we woke up to two inches of a snow sleet mixture....took me twenty minutes to clear the car off enough to go to work....I am so tired of this crap....usually I have spring vegetables up now....this year can not get them in the ground...

pdfangus":18aeoyqq said:
Monday Morning here we woke up to two inches of a snow sleet mixture....took me twenty minutes to clear the car off enough to go to work....I am so tired of this crap....usually I have spring vegetables up now....this year can not get them in the ground...

pdf I agree my garden is being delayed this ol gobbler must think its spring already cause hes out chasing the gals behind my barn.

Latest posts