Spreading sand on pastures.

Help Support CattleToday:

circlew

Reaction score
We go through 25 tons of sand every two weeks sand blasting trailers. So needless to say we have a lot of excess sand. We can't give it away and can't use it fast enough to keep up with the supply. We were talking today about spreading it on our hay fields and pastures. Does anyone have any experience with this? Would it have any nutritional value? I though about getting it tested to see what all nutrients it has in it but I don't know where to send the samples off to. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Don't see why you couldn't put a sample of it in a soil sample box and send it off to your state ag lab. Probably has no significant nutritional value, but spreading it thinly on the pasture probably wouldn't hurt anything unless something bad in there like lead.

i wouldnt do it unless u can do it very thin.i'm n construction and n my exp ground that has been covered with sand becomes very hard.not very good for washouts either as it will usually just float away when u get a heavy rain.maybe our soil n ks is different than yours and u will b fine.

Sandblasting sand that has been used only once will still be very sharp. Wouldn't want that somehow in my bales of hay going through the guts of my horses and cattle. What about reclaiming it and using it over? I don't think I would do it.

i've got very sandy pasture here in oklahoma. the sand stays pretty loose most of the year. piedmont is right about using it for washouts. i wouldn't have any problem at all putting it on the pasture especially to loosen it up. the only thing i would be wary about is the stuff your removed with the sand like petroleum products and paint....

not really any nutritional value from memory but can be used to improve drainage if you use enough.
My concern would be what comes of the trailer thats not desireable that could build up over time.
If it is safe, lightly incorporating into the soil if there is any concern about picking it up in hay but i would think it would settle out when raking the hay if it was even sitting on the plant!

If you have clay soil it will help loosen it up, if you plow it in. As a top coat on clay it acts as a mulch. Johnson grass loves it as well as most Bermudas. As far as having it tested, there is absolutely nothing of nutritional value in it. (maybe some iron from the rust) As long as it is not lead based paint I wouldn't see any harm. I have used it in my garden and pastures until last year. It is useless as fill because it will not bind at all so it washes out very easy. If you top coat to thick then it is very easy to get your truck stuck in it. The people I got it from said they could not let me get any more due to some gov. or EPA regulation.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't figure there were any nutrients in it to amount to anything.

Farmerjon":2t96onqr said:
Sandblasting sand that has been used only once will still be very sharp. Wouldn't want that somehow in my bales of hay going through the guts of my horses and cattle. What about reclaiming it and using it over? I don't think I would do it.
We can't reclaim it because when it hits the trailer it breaks down so small that it takes double the time than it would to get a new shipment. Time is gold. We normally just put it in holes in the drive way or yard or fields. If it doesn't wash away it will grass over very nicely.

highgrit":2ajgiwap said:
Circlew call the county road department. It can be spread on clay roads and it will tighting them up.
Blasting sand does not tighten up. It is screened to a particular size. Sand that tightens up is made up of an infinitesimal number of sizes.

highgrit":2jb8x7ep said:
Circlew call the county road department. It can be spread on clay roads and it will tighting them up.

They use to come get it but now they won't. Last time they came they hauled for two weeks. Two truck moving it. We live in teh corner of three counties and no of them want it.

I'm miles and miles from you, but would love to have it in my arena. Why do we want, what we know we can't have?