Spraying question

Help Support CattleToday:

oscar p

Reaction score
Will 24D kill yellow wood sorrel weed or sour weed? Or what ever that yellow flower is taking over my pasture. I have a 55gal sprayer. How much 24D for 55 gal of water? How much remedy per 55 gal of water?

oscar p said:
Will 24D kill yellow wood sorrel weed or sour weed? Or what ever that yellow flower is taking over my pasture. I have a 55gal sprayer. How much 24D for 55 gal of water? How much remedy per 55 gal of water?

I'm gonna be honest with you, and please don't take this the wrong way.

If you are having to ask these questions, you don't have the necessary experience to be spraying 24D. 24D can be highly volatile and can actually move to an unintended area with the correct temperature swings and do a lot of damage to other crops, trees, or even yards.

There is no certain amount per gallon of water regarding any chemicals. Chemical rates are calculated depending on how much area you are covering. If your sprayer is calibrated to apply 11 gallons of water per acre then you would be covering 5 acres per tank. So you would look on the chemical label and pick the appropriate rate and then deduce how much chemical to add.

Lastly, look into a chemical such as Surmount or a product with the active ingredient Metsulfuron. Both of these are a lot safer than 24D. See if they will kill your target weeds. If in doubt, contact your local extension agent. Hope this helps.

First and foremost, read the packaging attachment! But, with that said, Remedy is for more woody plants and 2-4D is for Broadleafs. What you should do is identify the plants that you want to eradicate, and determine the herbicide you need.

What sstterry said; First and foremost, read the packaging attachment!
When we spray a whole pasture we use Grazon II. When I spot spray I use a lot of 24D hi dep. There are different strengths of 24D. So be aware of that. I mix 1 gallon of 24D in 100 gallons of water.
Spot spraying won't drift much. The spray droplets are to big.
I really like Banvil for fence lines. But you have to use it early in the year, because it is extremely volatile and can kill soybeans and alfalfa over a mile away in the right conditions.

SBMF 2015 said:
When we spray a whole pasture we use Grazon II. When I spot spray I use a lot of 24D hi dep. There are different strengths of 24D. So be aware of that. I mix 1 gallon of 24D in 100 gallons of water.
I really like Banvil for fence lines. But you have to use it early in the year, because it is extremely volatile and can kill soybeans and alfalfa over a mile away in the right conditions.
I agree with everything SBMF said but I would add, check with your local authorities when spraying anything that contains Dicamba. It's use is heavily regulated in some areas. And for goodness sakes follow the directions. With Dicamba, you could kill a neighbor's entire crop.

Oscar always read and follow the label directions, use personal protective equipment, and be mindful of the wind (strength and direction). Like someone above said 2,4-d comes in different strengths so you cant just say put out 2 pints per acre (might be 15% or 46%). Check calibration of spray equipment (making sure the volume being put out is the same as you think it is) before starting spray season. Also you will want to use a surfactant with your mix.

Might look into this Alabama Extension website for information:
https://www.aces.edu/blog/tag/private-applicator/?c=pesticides&orderby=title

ccr said:
Also you will want to use a surfactant with your mix.

Speaking of surfactant, has anyone ever tried using an HE Laundry detergent as a surfactant? I know that some have used dish soap, but the foaming would be a problem. I think this would be remedied with the HE detergents.

SBMF 2015 said:

What is grazon ll ??I've only seen grazon p+d and grazon next.... both of which contain plenty of 24d....

callmefence said:
SBMF 2015 said:

What is grazon ll ??I've only seen grazon p+d and grazon next.... both of which contain plenty of 24d....

Grazon II and Grazon Next are the same thing. Yes it's 24D based, but in a different formulation. Our biggest problem is Canadian thistles. 24D will work to fast and just burn the tips off. Grazon Next works slower and makes it down to the roots and kills the whole plant.

SBMF 2015 said:
callmefence said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Grazon II and Grazon Next are the same thing. Yes it's 24D based, but in a different formulation. Our biggest problem is Canadian thistles. 24D will work to fast and just burn the tips off. Grazon Next works slower and makes it down to the roots and kills the whole plant.

I thought maybe there was a new one out I haven't heard of. Been about seven years since next so it's about time.

Grazon should be handled with the same due diligence as 24d as it contains 24d.
It kills just as fast often faster, the other chemical . Picloram in p+d brings months of soil residual to the mix making it more effective. Just don't want to be seeding behind it.

If one was looking for pasture spraying that controls weeds and Woody stuff , no 24d and a short but effective residual pasture guard fits the bill.

oscar p said:

Everybody here started spraying once upon a time. You might as well start the same way.

You have a low tech system.. Heres what I'd do:
Fill your tank with a known amount of water. Take off spraying. Measure the amount of ground you got over. That will tell you the gallons of water you apply per acre. Then work mathematically backwaeds from there. If you want to put 3 pints of 2 four D per acre, then put 3 pints per how ever many gallons you spray per acre. 17 ounces of grazon same thing. Them, you can check your calibration as you go.

Great site to figure acreage:
https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm

JMJ Farms said:
24D can be highly volatile and can actually move to an unintended area with the correct temperature swings and do a lot of damage to other crops, trees, or even yards.

I'd be ok if somebody accidentally sprayed my lawn with it. On the other hand, my brother usually fertilizes the hay fields, and he knows if he gets any on my lawn, he's in trouble. :lol2:

herofan said:
JMJ Farms said:
24D can be highly volatile and can actually move to an unintended area with the correct temperature swings and do a lot of damage to other crops, trees, or even yards.

I'd be ok if somebody accidentally sprayed my lawn with it. On the other hand, my brother usually fertilizes the hay fields, and he knows if he gets any on my lawn, he's in trouble. :lol2:

Yeah me too. I actually spray mine every spring with 2-4-D and atrazine and Prowl. Won't hurt the grass at the proper rate, but it will smoke some flowers and shrubs. Did learn a couple years ago not to spray it on St Augustine. But I'm with you, keep the fertilizer away! Fertilized my yard about 5 years ago and had to cut grass twice a week. And that wasn't always enough. Never again.

callmefence said:
SBMF 2015 said:
callmefence said:

<<I thought maybe there was a new one out I haven't heard of. Been about seven years since next so it's about time.>>

They do have a new product called DuraCor that is Aminopyralid based with some new ingredient that is suppose to make it more "green" than the Grazon family. I have not heard or talked to anyone that has used it. Probably expensive.
It takes a lot of green to be "green".