Spraying fence lines for rotational grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

nap

Reaction score
I was wondering what would be the best chemical combination for spot spraying along fence lines in a rotational grazing situation. I use a single high tensile wire about 36 inches from the ground and get considerable weed growth beneath the wire. I plan on using my Mule with a sprayer to move along the line. I don't want to use any combination of chemicals that will in any way damage the grass. Please let me know what you have used successfully in this situation.
Thanks,
Nap

Grazon will work ok, or a mixture of Grazon and Remedy if you have viney type stuff too

Thanks for the reply dun. I was thinking along those lines using a Grazon and Remedy combination. I was a little worried about the exposure of the pregnant and lactating cows to the Grazon since I can really keep the cows away from the electric fence line. Do you think this limited exposure will create a problem?

In rotational grazing, in most cases if you are limiting the area enough the cattle will clean up right to the wire. The only problem I have is under the barb wire perimeter fences with weeds coming through from the other side. Even that is not much of a problem except where the other side is along the road etc and not grazed. There a string trimmer is about the only thing I have seen that works. If you have to ask if its safe why take a chance? jmho. Jim