Spooked cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

I am sure it is possible she had a stroke, but is it possible she may have knocked her back / neck out of whack which could be causing her head tilt?
Heard of horses getting their back / neck spine knocked out of whack and "animal chiropractors" putting things back in.
Sounds a bit "whimpy," but a neighbor had a horse like that, and after being worked on was right as could be. Not sure I would be prone to getting a chiropractor to look at her though...
If she had a stroke or got her spine out of whack, it may have caused her to fall which might have caused some of the lumps and bumps. I am wondering if the reason she has been "hugging the fence" is she feels she can lean on it if her balance "teeters", on her...
Keep us up to date on how she does..

Tizia is back to pacing, though not as much as before.. it's like she does a couple laps, eats a little, does a couple laps, drinks a bit, lays down abit, repeat ad infinitum... i'd like it if she ate more... she is skinny and has definitely lost a fair bit of condition... can really see it in the dimples in front of her eyes. She also doesn't care if strangers are around, she seems to be super docile all around now

As for the B-L pellets, they say "do not feed to pregnant mares"... any idea why? Rosie should have her calf within a month..

O don't know why unless it hasn't been tested on pregnant mares. It is mostly herbs. It does help our mare.
I don't know if it would help your cow or not. I hope that she calves OK. Please keep us updated about her condition.

I'm asking my vet about B-L pellets, and I'll maybe try contacting the feed store here.

Tizia is OK, she seems stable, gets her treats and continues to wander around.

all my other residents are well at least

I wouldn't bother with the B-L pellets. At this point I don't think that they would benefit her. I honestly believe that she has neurological problems from a stroke.

Oh, the B-L pellets weren't for her.. they're for her 17 year old sister

So, Tizia fell (or laid down) in a weird way and couldn't get up even after we repositioned her a few times, she was pretty bruised up and exhausted from struggling, so I put her down on wednesday morning. She wasn't getting better on average, she seemed to have good days and bad days, and with all her bruises I figured it was the best thing. Damn was that a hard trigger to pull.

Here's to her when she was in her prime

Nesikep":rhaj6ivg said:
Oh, the B-L pellets weren't for her.. they're for her 17 year old sister

So, Tizia fell (or laid down) in a weird way and couldn't get up even after we repositioned her a few times, she was pretty bruised up and exhausted from struggling, so I put her down on wednesday morning. She wasn't getting better on average, she seemed to have good days and bad days, and with all her bruises I figured it was the best thing. be nice was that a hard trigger to pull.

Here's to her when she was in her prime

Sad, but I would have done that too. Now, do cows go to heaven? I should start a new thread on that.

Only the good ones go to heaven :p

She weighed about 1700 or so, depending on how close she was to calving.
Oh well, she has a lively and healthy granddaughter now, born at 90 lbs, and has far more milk than she can drink... Linebred once so she'd have to be exceptional for me to consider her as a replacement.

Real sorry to hear that you had to put her down, we were "rooting" for her recovery, or at least a calf out of her first.
I am sure that was the kindest thing to do though, even if it was hard.
would keep an eye on that granddaughter even though she is linebred, might just turn out to be a keeper..

I noticed that the really beefy looking heifers from this bull tend to not have very good udders, and a quick inspection of this granddaughter shows 5 teats, which isn't a good thing... I found that as long as they have an even number, 4 or 6, and they're evenly spaced, it's all good.. but the really beefy cousin (Cenci) is bagging up now for her first calf and i'm not fond of her udder, and I'm sure that this trait is coming from the bull as all her maternal siblings, mother, and grandmother had excellent udders. She is a real nice calf though. In 2 years Mega will be bred to the simmi bull I showed on a different thread here, and i figure those will be daughters to keep for sure. As it stands now, that granddaughter is 12 days old, and still can't keep up with Mega's milk, so I've been milking her daily and we haven't had to buy any.. She's just learned to count to 4 (but Mega has 6 working quarters), so I've started giving her a bit of grain too. Mega is a doll to work with, when I want milk, i just go there with my milk bucket and fill it up and she stands there nicely... a couple times she laid down in the middle of it though.. little brat

On alot of dairy farms, if a very young heifer has an auxillary teat, especially if they are placed in the wrong spot, they usually just clip them off way before they freshened. Often they get in the way of the milking machine, produce very little, and are a reservoir for mastitis, as they are not usually milked out.
But it sounds like Mega has 6 quarters, which is unusual. often the auxillary teat comes off of an existing quarter.
Sounds like Mega is pretty mild tempered, which is nice. Maybe the reason she laid down on you, was maybe her natural oxyitocin /let down reflex- relaxed her so much she decided to "plop' down on you, not out of orneryness.
Had a couple of milk cows that when you milked them would get very relaxed, in fact dozy. They often would prop their noses on the edge of the water trough and almost fall asleep. It was hilarious, as it wasn't uncommon for them to start dozing while being milked and their propped nose would on occasion slide off the edge of the trough, and land with a large splat into the water, which of course woke them up in a hurry! :lol:

hahaah, yeah, she's well mannered, better than our old guernsey we had who'd hardly ever hold still for milking. I don't know whether she laid down out of tiredness or brattyness... maybe a bit of both... we had one cow who had a modest milk supply have twins, and the only way she could get them off the teats was to lay down.

I'm wondering if this other heifer Cenci could have mastitis... she has a couple small sores on the front side of her udder... just a couple small scabs, but perhaps bacteria could enter from there? She's not being too cooperative about letting me fiddle around down there, they could be pretty tender. I figure she's either a week late calving, which is unlikely for a heifer, or she's still got 2 weeks to go... which could make things really fun.

Nesikep":3ojj4ixb said:
hahaah, yeah, she's well mannered, better than our old guernsey we had who'd hardly ever hold still for milking. I don't know whether she laid down out of tiredness or brattyness... maybe a bit of both... we had one cow who had a modest milk supply have twins, and the only way she could get them off the teats was to lay down.

I'm wondering if this other heifer Cenci could have mastitis... she has a couple small sores on the front side of her udder... just a couple small scabs, but perhaps bacteria could enter from there? She's not being too cooperative about letting me fiddle around down there, they could be pretty tender. I figure she's either a week late calving, which is unlikely for a heifer, or she's still got 2 weeks to go... which could make things really fun.

Nesikep, those sores could also indicate where an absessed udder due to mastitis has ruptured to release pus. I had a cow that did that. I finally cleared her up with antibiotics injected systemically and the today product injected into each quardrant of the udder. But I still sold her because she had a chronic problem with it and her teats had become very large. While I had her healthy and after the holding time, I shipped her.

Nesikep,
YOu can pick up a cow side mastitis test called CMT ( california maastitis test) and a paddle, or sometimes you can pick up the "strips" from the feed store that can give you a fairly good indicator if a cow has mastitis or not. Sometimses you can get a false positive is a cow is sick and has a high white cell count, and is still healthy in the udder, but all in all it is pretty good.
I prefer using Cefa-lac for an infusion, plus an injectable anti-biotic. The thing is those huge mammary veins are right there, and it is fairly easy for an infection in the udder to leave the udder and to go systemic. Seen that too many times, and they can get real sick, real fast, especially with an e-coli mastitis.
That is why I like to stick a needle in the hide along with an infusion. Hopefully to prevent a systemic infection.
The the other infusion ( think it is called formula 24 or something along that line) never had any luck with it clearing up mastitis, and later was told it is more for the inflamation than the infection. Probably have some new stuff out there if you ask the vet, seems they are always coming out with new stuff.

If I have a cow try to lay down with me when milking I usually just giver her a bit thump in the underside of the belly or chest, and usually they will stand back up...

Well, this heifer calved on saturday, a 90 lb bull calf, and both are doing well... the teats were a little tender and she wanted to kick, so I tied her to a post and put the kicker clamp on her, and once the calf was done, I milked out the worst quarter a couple times, seems to be good milk, and she's behaving a lot better now. Baby is jumping and running about too

I heard Peanut oil injected into the teat is something many dairy farmers around here do since it has no withholding time, but you'd have to catch it early for it to do any good

As for the sores, I think they could just be from the udder filling up fast and the skin not stretching quickly enough.. I put some iodine on them and I'll see what happens.
she doesn't' have the best udder, and I figure I'll keep her a couple years and she'll either be shipped or frozen... Her mother just had her 11th daughter last night which will make a replacement for her