Splicing/ Joining High Tensil Fixed Knot Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

The reef knot is the only knot I know how to tie. Cept here we call it a square knot. If I had known what a gripple was years ago, I'd have a lot more fixed knot fence than I do now. I considered it too hard to work on after installation.

Farm Fence Solutions said:
Lucky said:
I watched a video of call me fence stretching some fixed knot with a Dodge pick up, wonder how it was spliced?

Hard to believe the crimp sleeves are 100% wire strength. The barb wire crimps are terrible.

I think this post could go on and on. Thanks to everyone that replied. Surely out of the suggestions I can find one I can work with.
Barbed wire crimps that are usually found on the shelf at the farm store are mostly terrible. There are better options out there, should you decide a knot isn't the route you'd like to take. Properly installed, good quality crimps are 100% of the wire strength. Fence it's numbers are spot on.

https://www.strainrite.co.nz/product/barbed-wire-crimp-sleeves-pottle-of-50/

By what data??
If I can tie a knot and pull until something breaks....and it's the wire not the knot. What percent is that.??

Lucky said:
I watched a video of call me fence stretching some fixed knot with a Dodge pick up, wonder how it was spliced?

Hard to believe the crimp sleeves are 100% wire strength. The barb wire crimps are terrible.

I think this post could go on and on. Thanks to everyone that replied. Surely out of the suggestions I can find one I can work with.

I'm pretty sure it was gripples Lucky.
We use gripples on pretty much everything except NRCS spec jobs.
Which requires to be either crimps , western Union, and one of farms knots is allowed. I think the figure 8. ..... don't hold me to that, I'd have to look it up.

That has been my experience as well.
I may be over crimping them...I only use them now in an emergency or temporary repair, having gone to gripples for permanent splicing.

greybeard said:
That has been my experience as well.
I may be over crimping them...I only use them now in an emergency or temporary repair, having gone to gripples for permanent splicing.

Last year I repaired a drain fence (high tensile) that had broken in three places due to not being electrified when the cows were grazing against it.
All three of those weren't breaks - they were crimp sleeves that had come apart.
I'm sticking to knots.

If y'all will just use a gripples. Make 7 1/2 wraps on each side of the gripple.
Then use a crimp on both tag ends. You gotta slide the crimps on first of course. Then your covered.
237 percent breaking strength.
I'm currently experimenting with termination knots. It's looking like the trilene knot for low tensile and the palamor knot for high tensile. I'll report back.