Spinal Stenosis

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2wdznlro said:
Caustic are you sure it was the surgeon that had the highest cost? When I had bypass the anesthesioligist bill was 3 times the cardiac surgical teams bill.

Dun you could be right as
I don't remember. I just know one of them is doing okay

Caustic Burno":31nccjps said:
dun":31nccjps said:
Caustic are you sure it was the surgeon that had the highest cost? When I had bypass the anesthesioligist bill was 3 times the cardiac surgical teams bill.

I'm sure they Both are doing ok, just one a lot more ok then the other

Chocolate Cow":3gfg9ges said:
TC, I think my son saw your neurosurgeon a few days ago. :D Son was in Cabela's in Wichita and the guy ahead of him at checkout bought $1,000 of match grade ammo. Said he was going to Mexico to a competitive shooting. Guy got into a Calloway Corvette ($150,000+) and drove away. Son called me to tell me about the conversation and we both agreed "Had to be a neurosurgeon". ;-) :lol:
Hope your husbands back problems can be treated successfully. I'm thankful we have such excellent medical resources available-even if it means traveling some miles.
Sweet car!! The first house we had in Austin, a Neurosurgeon lived across the street. Every year he would take his son (starting at 10 years old) and his dad on a hunting expedition at the King Ranch. I use the term "hunting" loosely and it's ridiculously expensive.

dun":1rnys7k8 said:
Caustic Burno":1rnys7k8 said:
dun":1rnys7k8 said:

I'm sure they Both are doing ok, just one a lot more ok then the other
I'm betting on the Anesthesiologist in our case: he's the one that administered the steroid epidurals and not only made the referral to the Neurosurgeon but called him personally. I don't suppose any of them are hurting financially ;-)

My doctor only got $15,000 and my total bill was $228,000 and change. The hospital settled for half and it still ended up costing Blue Cross about $76. a minute when everything was said and done. The cost is ridiculous, but if you have unconditional trust in mankind you and your spouse can fly to India and have the same surgery done for $11,000. total. Obama bailed me out on having a rag head with a spot on his forehead cutting me to pieces for practice. One positive thing is if you don't make it through the operation your life insurance will still pay. I was shocked that it wasn't considered suicide.

True Grit Farms":3gzo99o8 said:
My doctor only got $15,000 and my total bill was $228,000 and change. The hospital settled for half and it still ended up costing Blue Cross about $76. a minute when everything was said and done. The cost is ridiculous, but if you have unconditional trust in mankind you and your spouse can fly to India and have the same surgery done for $11,000. total. Obama bailed me out on having a rag head with a spot on his forehead cutting me to pieces for practice. One positive thing is if you don't make it through the operation your life insurance will still pay. I was shocked that it wasn't considered suicide.
I just snorted out my water! (okay, wine but whatever) We have an outrageous deductible that we finally met so hopefully insurance will cover a significant amount. Still trying to wrap my head around $76 a minute. How can that possibly be justified?

TCRanch":19oqrx5t said:
He had considerable numbness and pain in his left arm, describes it like a bolt of lightning if he sneezes or coughs and drops things a lot. His balance is totally off and has fallen (even off a ladder) a number of times. No numbness in his toes but he also has wonky knees from long-ago sports injuries and surgery. I initially thought he had an inner ear/vertigo issue. He does have occasional leg cramps (always in the middle of the night!) but walks it off. Has tried a Chiropracter, steroids, muscle relaxers, pain pills, the Tens Pulse unit, epidural steroid injections, PT . . .

Recovery rate based on age? He's 65. His Neurosurgeon told him it took a long time for his back to degenerate to this point and it will take a long time to heal.

CB, thanks for the referral tip. He's seeing a (the?) top neurosurgeon in Wichita (it helps to have connections) but I'm all about due diligence and will look into it. I'm glad you're getting at least some relief but WOW, recovery is clearly longer than I anticipated.

Did he sign for medicare. Great insurance. I had to have surgery for a twisted intestine about three years ago. Surgery and two weeks in the hospital. Only have part A and B. Our part of the cost was $1100. My deductible had been met which was $250. Great insurance and what every one needs to be on. Plus let me add I still pay an insurance premium for the insurance.

TCRanch":12mbeqly said:
True Grit Farms":12mbeqly said:
I just snorted out my water! (okay, wine but whatever) We have an outrageous deductible that we finally met so hopefully insurance will cover a significant amount. Still trying to wrap my head around $76 a minute. How can that possibly be justified?

Blue Cross would only pay for a 24 hour hospital stay. It's only $9,673.62 per hour or $161.23 per minute, LIST PRICE
Bunch of crooks.

Was recently going through some papers and found a copy of a receipt I had saved.

Grandfather was in Saint Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Minn. room 479 from 2/13 to 2/25...12 days.

Invoice was dated 2-25-1927. Room was $3.25 per day = $39.00

Total Operating Room Charge.....$15.00

Total bill....$54.00

This is the Mayo Clinic

TCRanch":16pi5kv9 said:
Ryder, did the acupuncture hurt? I've always been intrigued.

My spine is curved (not classic scoliosis) and agree on back exercises; 10 years of ballet taught me how to stretch my spine & strengthen my back muscles. Makes a huge difference, I definitely feel it when I slack off.
Usually just a slight twinge when they insert the needles.
Depends on where they put the needles and what the treatment is for.

Ryder":2eiehug7 said:
TC, Like you If I slack off on exercises I hurt the next day.
I get tired of doing them but when I look back to where I was and where I am now the progress over time
is remarkable.

The best exercise the Dr told me you can get is to walk especially if your fighting arthritis. I wake every morning stiff due to the stuff and can barely make it up hill to the shop. Things get better after I walk.

hurleyjd":5tkyepus said:
TCRanch":5tkyepus said:
He had considerable numbness and pain in his left arm, describes it like a bolt of lightning if he sneezes or coughs and drops things a lot. His balance is totally off and has fallen (even off a ladder) a number of times. No numbness in his toes but he also has wonky knees from long-ago sports injuries and surgery. I initially thought he had an inner ear/vertigo issue. He does have occasional leg cramps (always in the middle of the night!) but walks it off. Has tried a Chiropracter, steroids, muscle relaxers, pain pills, the Tens Pulse unit, epidural steroid injections, PT . . .

Recovery rate based on age? He's 65. His Neurosurgeon told him it took a long time for his back to degenerate to this point and it will take a long time to heal.

CB, thanks for the referral tip. He's seeing a (the?) top neurosurgeon in Wichita (it helps to have connections) but I'm all about due diligence and will look into it. I'm glad you're getting at least some relief but WOW, recovery is clearly longer than I anticipated.

Did he sign for medicare. Great insurance. I had to have surgery for a twisted intestine about three years ago. Surgery and two weeks in the hospital. Only have part A and B. Our part of the cost was $1100. My deductible had been met which was $250. Great insurance and what every one needs to be on. Plus let me add I still pay an insurance premium for the insurance.
Primary insurance is private, only so I can be covered as well. He is signing up for full Medicare for next year.

True Grit Farms":3ui4bqjs said:
TCRanch":3ui4bqjs said:
True Grit Farms":3ui4bqjs said:

Blue Cross would only pay for a 24 hour hospital stay. It's only $9,673.62 per hour or $161.23 per minute, LIST PRICE
Bunch of crooks.
Yikes! Although I did chuckle at the irony that Thrombin (BOVINE) was one of the pricier RX items :)

Exercise for me makes things worse. When I was doing rehab I would have to sit down for a half hour or so and take pain meds before I could head home. If I do much of anything that requires moving my back I have to sit down for a while till I can get up and start doing stuff again. Mine is all in the lower third of my back and vicodin is my friend

TC, my wife has/had carpel tunnel in her right arm. Dr's suggested surgery several times. Her chiropractor suggested acupuncture. That was about 4 years ago. She now goes in every month or so for some maintenance treatments, but I think the real reason is she's good friends with her Dr.

She has no more trouble with numbness in her hand.

I've been to the same Dr, and she is real good with acupuncture. The needle, when inserted, is about the same sting as a mosquito bite! The needles are so thin you can barely see them. It sounds intimidating until you have it done, then you realize the fear/intimidation was unnecessary.

dun":3arsrzin said:
Exercise for me makes things worse. When I was doing rehab I would have to sit down for a half hour or so and take pain meds before I could head home. If I do much of anything that requires moving my back I have to sit down for a while till I can get up and start doing stuff again. Mine is all in the lower third of my back and vicodin is my friend
Rehab/PT is brutal! Hubby was told to take a pain pill before he got there when he had shoulder surgery and was still practically in tears by the time he left. He was diligent about PT at home but I wasn't quite Nurse Ratchet and at the time we didn't have the Tens Pulse Unit so I wasn't able to shock the snot out of him (nor did I want to be the one responsible for administering that level of pain!).
Have you ever tried one of those vibrating back massagers that you sit on and can control the location and level of heat? Not helping him in this situation but does wonders for me when I have lower back issues.

D2Cat":2q1qq3g9 said:
TC, my wife has/had carpel tunnel in her right arm. Dr's suggested surgery several times. Her chiropractor suggested acupuncture. That was about 4 years ago. She now goes in every month or so for some maintenance treatments, but I think the real reason is she's good friends with her Dr.

She has no more trouble with numbness in her hand.

I've been to the same Dr, and she is real good with acupuncture. The needle, when inserted, is about the same sting as a mosquito bite! The needles are so thin you can barely see them. It sounds intimidating until you have it done, then you realize the fear/intimidation was unnecessary.
Good to know, that's very interesting. Thanks!

TCRanch":2ocj2q26 said:
dun":2ocj2q26 said:
Rehab/PT is brutal! Hubby was told to take a pain pill before he got there when he had shoulder surgery and was still practically in tears by the time he left. He was diligent about PT at home but I wasn't quite Nurse Ratchet and at the time we didn't have the Tens Pulse Unit so I wasn't able to shock the snot out of him (nor did I want to be the one responsible for administering that level of pain!).
Have you ever tried one of those vibrating back massagers that you sit on and can control the location and level of heat? Not helping him in this situation but does wonders for me when I have lower back issues.
The only thing that actaully helped, the tens unit didn;t, was the inversion deal where you hang upside down. Problem with that was about the time the pain started to lessen in my back my heart would start to feel like it was going to explode out of my chest. Tried the rack kind of table deal and that got to my heart also. After I had shoulder surgery it took about 2 years for the pain to get much better. But there are still times when it drives me up the wall. I really think at times the getting old dosn;t beat the alternative.

Caustic Burno":1xhbr4yw said:
Ryder":1xhbr4yw said:
TC, Like you If I slack off on exercises I hurt the next day.
I get tired of doing them but when I look back to where I was and where I am now the progress over time
is remarkable.

The best exercise the Dr told me you can get is to walk especially if your fighting arthritis. I wake every morning stiff due to the stuff and can barely make it up hill to the shop. Things get better after I walk.

:nod: :nod:

Walking, one of the best things for you. Low-impact, good exercise. I get out of bed, in the morning, moving like the Tin-man in Wizard of Oz. After a bit of walking around, I'm more like Dorothy. LOL

Latest posts