Spinal Stenosis

Help Support CattleToday:

Like most others, it isn;t just the spinal stenosis. Had a tree fall on my some years ago and broke the transvers processes in my lower back. That makes pulling muscles and tweaking the broken bones a lot easier. But like most everything else, you learn to adapt and accept and do what you can to make it less bad. Not good, just less bad

wacocowboy":1tyks8va said:
Bright Raven":1tyks8va said:
wacocowboy":1tyks8va said:
My back was pretty messed up from riding bulls or at least that's where I assumed the injury happened. I went to the same place CB did Fondern Group Texas Orthopedic Hospital in Houston may be the same Doc I am bad with names. I highly recommend that place probably the only place I would let touch my back. Icing on the cake is the food is pretty darn good too. Good luck feel free to ask questions

I would rather handle rattlesnakes than ride a bull. Every bull rider has to have back injuries.

You do take a beating. I've never done anything I enjoyed more. I know I am way past my prime to ride anymore but wish I was still involved.

Mine started when a horse I was on went down with me. Then bulls bucking and stomping. Then there was the "gentle" art of judo...
Waco I truly relate to your saying you wish you - we- were still involved.

Over the years chiropractors have really helped me. They advised me not to let anybody cut on my back if I could possibly avoid it.
A chiropractor sent me to a physical therapist. She started putting down on chiropractors really bad.
I never went back to her.

Ryder":31pm1n4c said:
wacocowboy":31pm1n4c said:
Bright Raven":31pm1n4c said:
I would rather handle rattlesnakes than ride a bull. Every bull rider has to have back injuries.

You do take a beating. I've never done anything I enjoyed more. I know I am way past my prime to ride anymore but wish I was still involved.

Mine started when a horse I was on went down with me. Then bulls bucking and stomping. Then there was the "gentle" art of judo...

Over the years chiropractors have really helped me. They advised me not to let anybody cut on my back if I could possibly avoid it.
A chiropractor sent me to a physical therapist. She started putting down on chiropractors really bad.

I started on horses too. Then football then bulls. Back when I was riding seemed like there was more opportunity for stock contractors and stuff now it seems closed off to the small guys. I knew a guy kept around 15 bulls most were just county fair stuff but two of them were bucked in PRCA rodeos and seems like PBR too.

I saw a chiropractor for awhile helped me out a lot then it stopped helping that's when I choose surgery. The key and the hard part is finding a good chiropractor.

Texas PaPaw":1pf50nl7 said:
TCRanch":1pf50nl7 said:
dun":1pf50nl7 said:
Several Vicodin a day takes the sharp edge off.
Vicodin has worked for me but unfortunately for him he's allergic to Vicodin and Percocet. But at least the itching and subsequent hives distract from the pain :roll:

For the itching my dr suggested taking generic zyrtec, an allergy pill. Has helped me.
Benadryl doesn't help much; maybe Zyrtec would. Thanks!

TCRanch":2lzmmq16 said:
Texas PaPaw":2lzmmq16 said:
TCRanch":2lzmmq16 said:
Vicodin has worked for me but unfortunately for him he's allergic to Vicodin and Percocet. But at least the itching and subsequent hives distract from the pain :roll:

For the itching my dr suggested taking generic zyrtec, an allergy pill. Has helped me.

The drugs are no way to live period.
Been there done that got the tshirt.

Ryder":2knwoe3r said:
wacocowboy":2knwoe3r said:
Bright Raven":2knwoe3r said:

I'm glad it worked for you and I would most likely benefit from a chiropractor. But again, with a-fib a chiropractor carries it's own risk because of the potential for stroke. I even looked into an inversion table (recommended by a chiropractor) and his cardiologist nixed that idea immediately. Surgery is the last resort.

If the stenosis is bad enough going to
a chiropractor is playing Russian roulette for a wheel chair.
No chiropractor can fix narrowing of the spinal canal by twisting and popping its voodoo at best.

There are several types of spinal stenosis, with lumbar stenosis and cervical stenosis being the most frequent. While lumbar spinal stenosis is more common, cervical spinal stenosis is more dangerous because it involves compression of the spinal cord whereas the lumbar spinal stenosis involves compression of the cauda equina

Caustic Burno":1bw380n0 said:
TCRanch":1bw380n0 said:
Texas PaPaw":1bw380n0 said:

I agree but it A) beats the heii out of conatsnt pain and B) beats having surgery that only makes things worse. From the people I;ve talked to that have had back surgery about half say they wish they had never had it and about half say they wish they had done it sooner. 50:50 is pretty crappy odds.

dun":2wlfsoba said:
Caustic Burno":2wlfsoba said:
TCRanch":2wlfsoba said:

I agree but it A) beats the heii out of conatsnt pain and B) beats having surgery that only makes things worse. From the people I;ve talked to that have had back surgery about half say they wish they had never had it and about half say they wish they had done it sooner. 50:50 is pretty crappy odds.

Depends if it is cervical or lumbar
I have both cervical has a higher success rate and is much more dangerous than lumbar.Lumbar success is not real high something like 70% have to repeat.

Caustic Burno":31gvjc7p said:
dun":31gvjc7p said:
Caustic Burno":31gvjc7p said:

Depends if it is cervical or lumbar
I have both cervical has a higher success rate and is much more dangerous than lumbar.Lumbar success is not real high something like 70% have to repeat.
Bingo! Both the surgery and doing nothing are more dangerous with cervical. I think the odds are more in favor of a successful surgery, even with a very long recovery. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

TCRanch":qpasg2ox said:
Ryder":qpasg2ox said:
wacocowboy":qpasg2ox said:

I'm glad it worked for you and I would most likely benefit from a chiropractor. But again, with a-fib a chiropractor carries it's own risk because of the potential for stroke. I even looked into an inversion table (recommended by a chiropractor) and his cardiologist nixed that idea immediately. Surgery is the last resort.
No one thing is going to work for everybody. I spent a fair amount of money on acupuncture.
I know it has really helped some people for some things. Did not do anything for me.
Everybody does not have the same problem and what may be good or bad will not apply to everything.
What has really helped me are certain very simple back exercises a couple of friends put me on to which I think mostly helps to get tension out of the muscles.
I have suggested them to several people and I have observed that if you don't do them they don't work. :?
In the end you have to use your best judgement.

Ryder, did the acupuncture hurt? I've always been intrigued.

My spine is curved (not classic scoliosis) and agree on back exercises; 10 years of ballet taught me how to stretch my spine & strengthen my back muscles. Makes a huge difference, I definitely feel it when I slack off.

TC, I think my son saw your neurosurgeon a few days ago. :D Son was in Cabela's in Wichita and the guy ahead of him at checkout bought $1,000 of match grade ammo. Said he was going to Mexico to a competitive shooting. Guy got into a Calloway Corvette ($150,000+) and drove away. Son called me to tell me about the conversation and we both agreed "Had to be a neurosurgeon". ;-) :lol:
Hope your husbands back problems can be treated successfully. I'm thankful we have such excellent medical resources available-even if it means traveling some miles.

Chocolate Cow":3h3h5fwj said:
TC, I think my son saw your neurosurgeon a few days ago. :D Son was in Cabela's in Wichita and the guy ahead of him at checkout bought $1,000 of match grade ammo. Said he was going to Mexico to a competitive shooting. Guy got into a Calloway Corvette ($150,000+) and drove away. Son called me to tell me about the conversation and we both agreed "Had to be a neurosurgeon". ;-) :lol:
Hope your husbands back problems can be treated successfully. I'm thankful we have such excellent medical resources available-even if it means traveling some miles.

Nope cardiologist I just thought neurosurgeons got paid well till I got the Mrs bill for two stints.
Don't get me wrong they are both knocking it back just the neurosurgeon is on half pay. I was in surgery 2 1/2 hours and he charged 112k wife went in the cath lab for 45 mins and the Dr charged over 100k.

Caustic Burno":dyk6mf89 said:
Chocolate Cow":dyk6mf89 said:

Nope cardiologist I just thought neurosurgeons got paid well till I got the Mrs bill for two stints.
Don't get me wrong they are both knocking it back just the neurosurgeon is on half pay. I was in surgery 2 1/2 hours and he charged 112k wife went in the cath lab for 45 mins and the Dr charged over 100k.

Could you afford this kind of care without insurance. If not then what would happen to you and the wife.

Wow. To be honest, I have no idea what any doctor charges. I raise cattle and do my best to stay away from cities, people, doctors, hospitals, shopping malls, parking lots, car dealers, airports.......feel free to add to that list!

hurleyjd":u6qvxers said:
Caustic Burno":u6qvxers said:
Chocolate Cow":u6qvxers said:

Could you afford this kind of care without insurance. If not then what would happen to you and the wife.

That's why I went to work was to get good insurance. You can earn money
anywhere. There is always option two to be a blood sucking leach off the government that is funded by working people.

Caustic are you sure it was the surgeon that had the highest cost? When I had bypass the anesthesioligist bill was 3 times the cardiac surgical teams bill.

Latest posts