Spinal Stenosis

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan":18sewgm3 said:
Don't have the back/spine issues, but the ankle and knee issues have really gotten to me. Have seen some very positive improvements with the PRP prolotherapy treatments to the left knee, not any with the ankle but the next step is stem cell.

The chiropractor has given me alot of relief with the back aches from being on concrete so much, and even with the knee and ankle joint pain. Everyone that has seen my ankle, and I have been to over 6 drs. in the past 5 years, have commented on the amount of range of motion in the ankle even with the pain. So, I don't want to go to fusion but that is what conventional medicine is pushing.
I am now having some prp in the right knee and the shoulder and will do both shoulders as I can barely get my arms behind my back in the last 6 months. Said my rotater (sp?) cuffs on both are showing some wear but are both in place so the prp will hopefully strengthen the muscles and ligaments to keep them in place and improve on the pain.
Insurance does not cover any of this so have to space the treatments out more than I would like and the stem cell is more expensive. Have talked to several people that have said stem cell is the way to go; one guy at a cattle meeting heard me telling another friend how I was getting along, and just joined in and told how it had made his life so much better. Didn't know him from the man in the moon so kinda good to know. Also have some friends with show driving horses and ponies and they said it is common in them to do stem cell and prolotherapy type treatments for their joint problems.

One thing, acupuncture has definitely helped the pain in the ankle. I was skeptical and a little afraid of the needle idea, but you pretty much don't feel them, they are so slender, like smaller in diameter than a hair, and if you let yourself relax and try to imagine the pain reducing in intensity, instead of fighting it, then i see good results. I have been in tears a couple of times, and just that will take the edge off. Doesn't cure it, but does help and the effects sometimes last for a few days.

Good luck with his upcoming surgery.
I've heard a lot of good things about stem cell treatments/therapy. And yes, not being covered by insurance. Hopefully they will continue to work on your rotator cuff issues - hubby has had 3 RC surgeries, none of which were fun but he did (finally!) become diligent about PT and that made all the difference.

Update: Surgery was Monday and considered a success. Recovery, not so much. Despite a patch and whatever anti-nausea meds in his IV he was violently ill, magnesium low then potassium, had an a-fib episode. Was finally able to bring him home last night and is doing much better than anticipated. Gonna be a loooooong 6 weeks before he can actually do much of anything! Sure hope it's worth it.

Glad to hear he's doing much better than anticipated! That's good news. Sorry to hear of the miserable episode.

With any luck, things will continue in a positive direction. :) Good luck, to both of you, in the next 6 weeks.

Thanks for the update.

TCRanch":26rt1iva said:
Update: Surgery was Monday and considered a success. Recovery, not so much. Despite a patch and whatever anti-nausea meds in his IV he was violently ill, magnesium low then potassium, had an a-fib episode. Was finally able to bring him home last night and is doing much better than anticipated. Gonna be a loooooong 6 weeks before he can actually do much of anything! Sure hope it's worth it.

I know in my case surgery was a breeze recovery was a bytch.
Once he is able to get out of the collar he really has to be safe for while.
Driving sucked.
It takes awhile to train your muscle memory you can't turn your head like that no more.
After you learn your new normal everything is good.

Latest posts