Spice to add to mashed potatoes

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I'm looking for a twist on my mashed potatoes and want to add a or some spices to zest them up. I have sprinkled basil on roasted potatoe cubes with garlic powder and a little olive oil and butter and they turned out pretty good. I'm cooking a turkey breast with green beans and mashed potatoes, thinking of rosemary or basil with a little garlic powder and salt and pepper. No gravy unless recommended, just butter. Any and all suggestions for added spices at this late stage will not be forgotten. :D Help please. :tiphat:

sage & butter are a favorite for potatoes
oregano is yummy, too.
Potatoes don't need no stinkin' gravy, just lots of butter :D

BTW, just for future reference...in your culinary adventures, the above referenced are all herbs.
In general, if it's from a leaf...it's an herb
If it's from a seed, bark or berry...it's a spice

You can now impress all your friends & relatives with your new found culinary expertise :lol2:

I don't have spices figured out but anytime you want to make them really creamy and a little sweet, try cooking and mashing them with some parsnip.

here's another, also yummy

Slice an onion, saute in butter & a pinch of salt. Add about 1/2 tsp sugar. Continue to cook onions until soft and well carmelized. Add a splash of cream, or half/half or a tablespoon of sour cream.
Stir into potatoes.

cow pollinater":12qn4a7v said:
I don't have spices figured out but anytime you want to make them really creamy and a little sweet, try cooking and mashing them with some parsnip.

I like to use sweet baby carrots (not the prewashed cello bagged ones as those are just large carrots that have been mechanically formed to look little) throw in chopped flat leaf parsley ,rosemary ,salt, pepper and add a good chunk of 7 yr old sharp white cheddar cheese and a smidgen of garlic. Mash them all up but leave it a little chunky .You can add butter to this as well but with the cheese you really don't need it .

Fresh dill goes well with potatoes too Alan .

CottageFarm":25vx00j1 said:
sage & butter are a favorite for potatoes
oregano is yummy, too.
Potatoes don't need no stinkin' gravy, just lots of butter :D

BTW, just for future reference...in your culinary adventures, the above referenced are all herbs.
In general, if it's from a leaf...it's an herb
If it's from a seed, bark or berry...it's a spice

You can now impress all your friends & relatives with your new found culinary expertise :lol2:

Thank you very much cottagefarm, the kind of info I need and want :tiphat: for the most part leaf is herb and seed is spice...... Perfect and just what I'm hoping to learn. May try some oregano or sage. Looking for something simple to build off off ..... Or ruin :roll:

CP, parsnip is something else I want to play/experiment with. Thanks.

We don't need no stinking gravy! :lol:

hillsdown":27pwoo0g said:
cow pollinater":27pwoo0g said:

I like to use sweet baby carrots (not the prewashed cello bagged ones as those are just large carrots that have been mechanically formed to look little) throw in chopped flat leaf parsley ,rosemary ,salt, pepper and add a good chunk of 7 yr old sharp white cheddar cheese and a smidgen of garlic. Mash them all up but leave it a little chunky .You can add butter to this as well but with the cheese you really don't need it .

Fresh dill goes well with potatoes too Alan .

Nice tip and thank you! I'm sure lots of questions coming in my new hobby!

Most folks already know I'm wierd, but celery seed makes mashed tators heavenly. I know, it don't sound good. Don't knock it till you try it

Okay it was mashed potatoes with sea salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and a little rosemary mixed in and then a good dose of butter (not imatation) mixed into the finished product. Good stuff, my wife and I each had two helpings. All spices and herbs were added in small amounts. It's a good start to work with, thanks for all the help!

Finally, a recipe question that I can help on. Slice a ball park frank into 14 inch slivers. Fry them in a skillet till kinda crispy. Stir them in the potatoes. Top with cheese. You will not be disappointed.

Nutmeg, white pepper, milk and butter. And it becomes even better if there is a bit of something sweeter in there, like onion or carrot, or perhaps parsnip or celery as suggested above but they usually "take over" too much for my liking.

My favorite way is to use heavy cream, butter, garlic. salt, pepper and cheddar cheese. When I make these for a group there's never any left over. I've also fried up some bacon and used the bacon and a little cooled down grease. That kicks them up a notch.

Make them a little thick and then after they cool a bit stir in some sour cream-- Yumm

A few spoonfuls of mayo and sour cream make plain mashed potatoes a lot better. Also like to add a little paprika on top.

ANAZAZI":1r663fq3 said:
Nutmeg, white pepper, milk and butter. And it becomes even better if there is a bit of something sweeter in there, like onion or carrot, or perhaps parsnip or celery as suggested above but they usually "take over" too much for my liking.
Skip the nutmeg, boil some sliced green beans until tender and add to mashed potato together with pepper, milk, butter and some finely chopped onion(raw). Ratio green beans to mash, about 1:3.

And if for some reason you have left overs, my wife likes to take the mashed taters and mix the other left overs in with them. She then puts blobs of this mash in a skillet and flattens it down into hamburger size patties. Fry till crusty brown. Serve delicately. It falls apart easy, but it makes a fine turd :tiphat:

heres what we add to mashed taters.we put a large amount of butter sour cream an graded cheese all mixed togather.

Latest posts