Speckle Park Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

charlie01

Reaction score
Hi
I have always wanted a cow of this breed, I have contacted studs near by me and their cattle are $5000 above in price which is to expensive for me. But my chance may of come!!
There's an online auction coming up and a lot is a stud speckle park cow and bull calf. He's doesn't look like a quality cow and the calf doesn't look the best.

do you think with some TLC and with the right breeding she can be a great cow and produce great calves?

860996273645img_4991.jpg

860996273645img_4995.jpg

860996273645img_4994.jpg

Opinion wanted bad and good

Thanks

No, I think not. All you would be buying is the colour and she has already had a solid white calf....There is a good quote.."it doesn't matter how much sugar you add to s**t, it still won't make strawberry jam"..

I have to agree. The only thing with the bit of TLC you'll give her is that you'll be hiding her faults. I would pass on her if I where you.

I don't think she is all that bad, and here's why-

She appears to me to be young and thin. If this is her first calf she may just be milked down. I see some muscle expression in her despite being thin. I appreciate her feminity and square rump. Her rear leg set and bone look appropriate. Her coloration is definitely desireable and should breed through if bred to a similarly marked bull.

The calf shows a lot of rib and thickness. I have no idea how old he is, but I like him. Yes, he is white which will probably bring him down in value.

On the downside, I'd like to see more udder development in the cow although a big bag doesn't prove they are milkers.

I'd say if the calf is good size for his age and she is bred back, buy her-

I've seen a lot worse. If you can get her for market price with a calf that size and you like her then do it. It's just for novelty anyway. BTW market price for blk 6yr olds with little babies was 1600 here yesterday. Butcher cows brought as much ad .87.

you decide what she's worth and don't pay a penny more!

Looks like a decent cow to me jus needs a some groceries. Helll of a calf at side too. I guess I'm curious as to what are the glaring flaws seen in this cow?

Just some more info:
-weighs 420kg
-100% polled
-30 months old.
-cow a result of a purchased embryo
-SIRE:pRAIRIE HILL JOHN WAYNE, DAM: RIVER HILL RIP-TEAR 99R
-cow depastured to SIX STAR MEDICINE HAT 29/1/12

The calves sire is CODIAK CRIKEY GNK 13U.
CodiakCrikeyGNK-13U.jpg

Birth- 1/11/2011
Birth weight- 34kg now 120kg

I have to ask. Do they start out white and get some color later. The calf doesn't seem to match the parents.

BTW What do they want for her?

3waycross":24412vyg said:
I have to ask. Do they start out white and get some color later. The calf doesn't seem to match the parents.

BTW What do they want for her?

No, im positive that they are born the colour that they will always be.

The site is like a sale yard auction but you don't go to the yards it's online and you bid through your agent.

Sure like the sires.

To me she seems to lack depth in the hindquarters , and could use a bit more depth. Her calf though is very nice.

Charlie, I checked out the cow on Auctionsplus and watched the video of her. She's not really a desirable type in my opinion.
She's actually in very good body condition but lacks softness, a very hard type. Her sire looks wonderful but she didnt inherit his depth and softness. The calf looks okay despite her acute lack of udder development. Save your money and buy a better one would be my advice!

The biggest concern I have with her is the lack of depth and volume, combine that with her hard dry muscle and I think you'll have a hard keeper. I disagree with jilleroo that she didn't inherit her sire's depth, I think that is where the problem stems from, he hasn't got enough chest depth and heart girth.

3waycross wrote:

I believe the reason the calf is 'white', from a speckled mother and father, is that the 'speckle park phenotype' is the result of heterozygous colour sided genotype. The calf got a colour sided allele from each parent, so he ended up with white park colouring. This pairing of two heterozygous colour sided animals results in a quarter black calves, half speckle park calves, and a quarter white park calves.

Don't know if you care, just thought I'd mention it.

Here's a really good link if anyone is interested.
http://www.canadianspecklepark.ca/conte ... ur-pattern

Latest posts