Special Focus

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Took one of my baldies to the breeder and just brought her home. If I have anything commercial that I'm not breeding back to Pied I'll tell her to match 'em up to whatever she has in the tank. This time she used Special Focus. Anyone have any experience with his calves?

I've been around lots of them. They make good cows. If she's got a temper he won't help but they're not bad if the cow isn't. He will help with udders and all of the cattle I've seen had good feet and legs and you wouldn't guess in focus was the grandsire looking at the front end. They are pretty moderate and proven to be feed efficient.

None personally, but have seen some that were pretty nice calves.

cp, the docility/temper you are referring to, in what way are they a problem? Get nervous when crowded/working them, come meet you when you step off 4 wheeler, freight train you trying to tag calves, what?

talltimber":zf0ug092 said:
cp, the docility/temper you are referring to, in what way are they a problem? Get nervous when crowded/working them, come meet you when you step off 4 wheeler, freight train you trying to tag calves, what?
cow pollinater":zf0ug092 said:
They make good cows. If she's got a temper he won't help but they're not bad if the cow isn't.
The way I read it talltimber is....their temperament problems will be the same way as the cow's problem.
He does not improve dispositions.....nor does he add more problems to them.

She's a pretty docile cow. Respects your space but not afraid to get close enough to eat some cubes. Lets me work with newborns but pays close attention, Never once shown any aggressiveness towards me. Thanks for the info.

I used Special Focus for a couple years, mainly on heifers, and most of those were sold as bred heifers. The ones that I calved by him, came easy and were stout healthy calves. As they grew they were inconsistent, but in fairness the cows were not real uniform. The Hoover Dam calves that I had were much more uniform in comparison. I kept two heifers out of Special Focus that I really liked, one did not breed, and was culled, the other was late getting bred and sold to a friend. I keep up with her, she is his pet, has recently had a calf and is doing well. Another friend bought some heifers from me bred to Special Focus, over all I think he was pleased with them. One heifer did have a really small around 30 pound calf that died in a few days. After hearing that, I didn't use Special Focus anymore. I think he is a good heifer bull that will put some growth in his calves.

I'm using him in my LH's this year. It will be interesting to see how those calves work out.

Latest posts