Speaking of ribs off an animal called prime

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I've never once done a prime rib, but we wanted something different this Christmas. So Jessie picked up a bone in rib roast. What's the best way to cook it given these 3 options
Smoke with some hickory
Grill on a weber kettle using indirect heat and some cherry chips
Cook it in the oven and blast it at 500 at the end to put a little char on

I would go with thee latter one. But to prepare it I cut it off the bones rack then lay it back and cover the meat that isn;t protected by bone with about a 1.4 inch of beef fat and tie the whole thing to keep it together. 30 minutes at 375 then lower the heat to 225. Stick a thermometer in it and gauge the doneness by the thermometer

hooknline":3mx7obij said:
I've never once done a prime rib, but we wanted something different this Christmas. So Jessie picked up a bone in rib roast. What's the best way to cook it given these 3 options
Smoke with some hickory

I've always done them on the grill, but the oven works great, too. If you're using charcoal, be prepared to add more coals after about 2 hours.
If using the oven, do the 500 degree blast at the beginning rather than the end. You'll get better results without overcooking the ends.

Take it out of the plastic and dry age it in the fridge (or your spiffy new cooler) between now and Christmas. It makes a huge difference with grocery store beef.

I agree cut the ribs off, then tie them back on for roasting.
I don't serve the ribs with the roast. I will generally throw them in a crockpot to finish the next day 'cause I like fall apart, tender ribs.

I have smoked them on an electric smoker, with wood chips. I have always wanted to smoke one, but they are so expensive that I don't want to ruin one. The electric smoker is fool proof, compared to my hog cooker.

The most widely accepted method for Prime Rib is to blast it with 500 up front then either turn it off or way down. This recipe is indicative of that method.

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/uh6bb7na/pe ... ytime.html.

Personally i use a rub made with paste type beef base , olive oil, and garlic powder. and massage it into the meat thoroughly and let it set for at least 1/2 an hour before you put it in the oven,

3waycross":3eons73p said:
The most widely accepted method for Prime Rib is to blast it with 500 up front then either turn it off or way down. This recipe is indicative of that method.

Personally i use a rub made with paste type beef base , olive oil, and garlic powder. and massage it into the meat thoroughly and let it set for at least 1/2 an hour before you put it in the oven,

I'm no expert, but what Vic said, season, blast at 500 then way down, 200, 225 to desired internal temp.

But don't forget the secret ingredient, a round trip airline ticket from PDX to your closest airport and a plate set for me. Your main course sounds great! Good luck.

Alan":25livx1i said:
3waycross":25livx1i said:

I'm no expert, but what Vic said, season, blast at 500 then way down, 200, 225 to desired internal temp.

But don't forget the secret ingredient, a round trip airline ticket from PDX to your closest airport and a plate set for me. Your main course sounds great! Good luck.

The real trick is to be just a little flexible on dinner time. Eat when the roast is ready. 130 for rare and up for more well done. You also need to remember that it needs to rest before carving and that it will continue to cook as it rests.

Another little trick the restaurants use is to have a pan of Au Jus on the stove and they cook it really rare and then if someone wants it more done they dredge the meat in the Au Jus for a minute or so.

3waycross":z3uzmu75 said:
Another little trick the restaurants use is to have a pan of Au Jus on the stove and they cook it really rare and then if someone wants it more done they dredge the meat in the Au Jus for a minute or so.

Great tip and filed away, man this place is better than the cooking channel! :lol:

Hook, FYI, its pronounced Prym'Eh. Prym was the Maasaian Goddess of Watusi Cattle in the Serengeti. It was said she was born in the Ngorongoro crater where she was raised by hyenas. It is said she had an insatiable sexual appetite and this coupled with her upbringing led to the basis of other words still used in the English language still today. The Maasai people were so infatuated with her they crossed a cape buffalo with a brama type cow to honor her. The offspring of this is called a Prym. Later, French colonists, so impressed with this meat began exporting it to France where the 'Eh was added. Am told French law mandates words to end in 'e or something like that. Anyhow, if you question the validity of any of this I'm sure it can all be verified if you take just a few minutes of your time and go to Walmart and look for the intelligent fella in the meat department. You'll know him when you see him.

As for cooking, what was said is about right. Pretty hard to screw up prime rib as long as you don't overcook it. If any of your guests want their's cooked higher than medium rare - send them to McDonalds.

hooknline":356pn2ly said:
Smoke with some hickory
That's what we do, indirect heat, slowly surely. Put it over hot coals right at the end of process just to brown nicely ;-)

Lots of different ways to do it - this is how we do it at our home.

Rub it with salt, pepper and garlic.

Put it in the oven on its end. Leave all bones on - adds flavour - lots of flavour.

Do not trim off any fat - it will cook out and any that is left will be crisp on the outside and it is excellent as well.

Bake at 325 for 22 minutes to the pound for rare, 25-28 minutes to the pound for medium and 33 minutes to the pound for well.

Serve bone on

Excellent

Do not add water to the pot.

Do not cover.

Approximately 35 minutes before finished add vegetables around the roast if you want them to be oven baked - we just put them right into the same pot. Test the veggies now and then with a fork to be sure you do not over cook them.

Cut the potatoes and carrots up a bit before you add them to ensure being cooked when all is finished.

When finished, pull out of the oven and let it sit for about 10 - 15 minutes before you slice it up - it will hold together a bit better if you do this.

Make the gravy with the liquids and parts and pieces that come out of the bottom of the pot.

We do this at least a couple times a month

You will not complain when you taste it

Cheers

Bez

Thanks all. What I'll do is 500 up front in the oven, then indirect on the kettle grill with some wood chips that way I get the best of every method. Thanks again

The reason I seperate the meat from the bone then tie it back together is so that you still get the flavor of cooking it with the bone, and it's easier to slice. Best of all, it gives ME a rack of bones to gnaw on one at a time for a couple of days.

dun":1uirw7z1 said:
The reason I seperate the meat from the bone then tie it back together is so that you still get the flavor of cooking it with the bone, and it's easier to slice. Best of all, it gives ME a rack of bones to gnaw on one at a time for a couple of days.

Dun it's a great way to do a bone in pork loin also. Just make sure you saw off the chine bone!

I do mine much like everyone else ,very similar to 3ways and like Snake we have rib roast at least once or twice a month here and pretty much always on Christmas ( except this year I am doing a Turducken) . Like was said make sure it is at room temp , them I usually take a few cloves of garlic and cut them , rub it all over the roast and then OO and then a nice spice rub bit not too powerful as the meat is flavorful enough because of the bones . Or you can roast a whole bulb of garlic then make a paste of it and mix it in with your OO . Sear the roast well, and roast until the inside is rare or just about rare ,you can always add aux jus to get the slices to the exact preferred doneness.

How you have planned to do it sound delish Hook , enjoy !!! :tiphat:

Don't forget to do a mirepoix for a bit while it is roasting so you can make the best tasting gravy or aux jus out of it and the fat drippings .. I would make Yorkshire pudding of course too, but it may just be to Northern for you . :lol2:

Just trussed the roast, after making a fresh,garlic,worschesterchsire, salt, and pepper paste. Wrapped in Saran Wrap until tomorrow.
Only thing different is I'm putting a light smoke on it with cherry in the kettle first, pulling at 100, blasting at 500 in the oven and pulling at 110 to rest.

9F4DFBB6-E97F-4ED3-AF68-1D4E08551532.jpg

FEE1D27F-048C-4326-80C3-910FB3951075.jpg

9275D38A-5A9E-440A-9D72-D69EB431068E.jpg

Latest posts