Spartan Mowers???

Help Support CattleToday:

To answer your question No. Haven't seen any around here.

On some of your feedback from others:

On slopes, put on a pair of these: Deestone D929, $31 each, $18 shipping from Simple Tire online for the 22x11-8 that I bought. They are balloon, low pressure tires for a soft ride. I just got a pair for my Ferris IS700Z 61" to maximize the soft ride. They are 4 ply, soft sidewall, studded snow tires for an ATV rated 340# at 5psi at 50 mph. I run them at about 600#, 10 psi and 10 mph. On cutting my pond banks I do it in a loop, up one side and down the other. I don't mow sideways with the ZT because I don't like sitting sideways on the slope...uncomfortable. I have a conventional rider that also has studded snow tires front and rear for that and sit on the uphill side of the seat, erect.

As stated by others, turf tires won't hold and bar lugs didn't work for me either; ok fore and aft but slid on the sideways run as you made the loop or did any sideways cutting. I'm on my 4th tire type and I think I have a winner.

The Ferris frame is sprung and made for a fast cut. Actually to get the benefit of the sprung chassis you need to go fast......like a p/u on a bumpy road. Go slow and feel the bumps; speed up and let the suspension work for you . With the BS Vanguard 26 you have more than enough power for fast cutting in heavy grass and climbing 30 degree pond banks. On my bumpy pasture the balloon tires and the sprung suspension works great.

Hope the Spartan guys make their way into the (crowded) market. Like to see folks succeed that have the guts to go out on a limb and try to make something of themselves.

Texasmark":1ur2s2zv said:
To answer your question No. Haven't seen any around here.

On some of your feedback from others:

On slopes, put on a pair of these: Deestone D929, $31 each, $18 shipping from Simple Tire online for the 22x11-8 that I bought. They are balloon, low pressure tires for a soft ride. I just got a pair for my Ferris IS700Z 61" to maximize the soft ride. They are 4 ply, soft sidewall, studded snow tires for an ATV rated 340# at 5psi at 50 mph. I run them at about 600#, 10 psi and 10 mph. On cutting my pond banks I do it in a loop, up one side and down the other. I don't mow sideways with the ZT because I don't like sitting sideways on the slope...uncomfortable. I have a conventional rider that also has studded snow tires front and rear for that and sit on the uphill side of the seat, erect.

As stated by others, turf tires won't hold and bar lugs didn't work for me either; ok fore and aft but slid on the sideways run as you made the loop or did any sideways cutting. I'm on my 4th tire type and I think I have a winner.

The Ferris frame is sprung and made for a fast cut. Actually to get the benefit of the sprung chassis you need to go fast......like a p/u on a bumpy road. Go slow and feel the bumps; speed up and let the suspension work for you . With the BS Vanguard 26 you have more than enough power for fast cutting in heavy grass and climbing 30 degree pond banks. On my bumpy pasture the balloon tires and the sprung suspension works great.

Hope the Spartan guys make their way into the (crowded) market. Like to see folks succeed that have the guts to go out on a limb and try to make something of themselves.

Thanks. Very helpful. I gave up on the bank. Wasn't worth getting killed over.

Bigfoot":1ihfknyv said:
jessicah":1ihfknyv said:
Did you purchase the Spartan yet? I had one a little while ago and I didn't really care for it. After switching to the GreenWorks 12 Amp Corded 20-Inch Lawn Mower, I will never go back! I hope this helps.

About a year ago, you gave me the worst advice I've ever got:

I had an anniversary coming up, and I asked you what to get. You said go to fredericks of Hollywood and get a red lace neglache. So I did. My wife completely freaked out. Made me sleep in the truck on our anniversary. All I can figure is, that up until that point, all she had ever seen me in was a pair of briefs. Anyway,I'll never listen to a thing you say again.

Got to admit, I saw that one coming but I still smiled.

LOL

ClodHopper37869":2eobddfl said:
Whats the connection between Bad Boy & Spartan??
Spartans address is "1 Bad Boy Blvd. Batesville, AR 72501"

Some kind of split in ownership, and a do not compete clause. I don't know the details.

D2Cat":1pl57q0c said:
Split in ownership should not be a red flag. Many companies are formed because the original partnership has problems.
Bad boy mowers are crap. Spartan comes out with mowers that somehow magically undercut everyone in price. I find out that they have split ownership with bad boy. Sorry to me that raises a red flag.

They may be a decent mower but I'll let everyone else try them out first.

Solved the problem with the steep bank. I went to Lowes and got a push mower. The kids seemed disappointed with the soloution, but operating a push mower is a valuable skill, and skills are important. Infact, one more complaint out of them, and I'm going to lowes tomorrow and get 2 more. I'm going to donate the zero turn mower to the charity of their choice, and they can push mow the whole place.

Bigfoot":3f6baz5s said:
Solved the problem with the steep bank. I went to Lowes and got a push mower. The kids seemed disappointed with the soloution, but operating a push mower is a valuable skill, and skills are important. Infact, one more complaint out of them, and I'm going to lowes tomorrow and get 2 more. I'm going to donate the zero turn mower to the charity of their choice, and they can push mow the whole place.

Lol

Never even heard of a Spartan mower before. Gravely is a very good mower. But if you look at dam near every landscape trailer being pulled around you usually will see Scags. After researching and talking to about twenty different mowing companies. They all said the Scag was the best, longest lasting mowers they have ever used. So I ended up buying a Scag 72" Cheetah with a 35hp Fuel injected Kohler. The platform you sit on moves and has a gas shock on it. The seat frame is mounted on Rubber suspension pads and the seat itself is a suspension seat. You can't believe how much better ride you get with this unit. The power and cut is absolutely incredible. I don't know what they make their blades out of but three seasons and haven't even had to sharpen them. I hit all kinds of driveway rocks too. Not one chip or dent in the cutting edge. Absolutely unreal. I mow 10 acres with this thing in 1.5 hrs. It used to take me 8hrs with my other mowers. Funny thing is I use less than half the gas I used to. Yes it was expensive. But it was worth every penny. The dam things will last a private guy his whole life and probably his kids kids lives too. The biggest thing on these zero turns are the drive motors. Scag and Gravely have the best drive motors in the business. Gravely was a very close second choice for me. Scag is 100% made in the good ole USA. The only thing that has pissed me off over this whole mower thing. Is the fact that I wasted a lot of money on other mowers and just having headache after headache. All because I was trying to save a buck. Well that bit me in the ass. Buy a Scag or Gravely. You will be one happy camper you did.

Latest posts