Soyhull pellets

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE

Reaction score
I can get soyhull pellets for $135 per ton. Min. 9% protein, .5% fat, 38% fiber. Thinking of using to supplement cows when need be and using for putting weight on feeders. I've never fed them before. Any experience or thoughts about using them straight, or mixing with shelled corn or something else to make a cheap feed?

They are a good feed, highly digestible fiber and high TDN. Works well with corn gluten around here.

There is something about the texture that causes some animals to gag on them at times like they get packed in the throat. I'd blend them with something.

BFE said:
I can get soyhull pellets for $135 per ton. Min. 9% protein, .5% fat, 38% fiber. Thinking of using to supplement cows when need be and using for putting weight on feeders. I've never fed them before. Any experience or thoughts about using them straight, or mixing with shelled corn or something else to make a cheap feed?

I'd feed them straight. Soyhulls are pretty awesome.

Ebenezer said:
There is something about the texture that causes some animals to gag on them at times like they get packed in the throat. I'd blend them with something.

Sheep are really bad about doing that. I never have had much trouble with cows doing it.

I won't be feeding any large amounts, not trying to replace hay. I didn't know whether to try and bump up the protein to 12% range to the feeders with some range cubes or something. I don't have a feed grinder, I am trying to do things on the cheap.

I generally don't feed cows anything but grass or hay except for short periods to catch them, but at that price a little supplementation through the winter is cost effective.

Any mixing or feeding I do is by hand, so my mix will be something like x of this feed, then, y of that feed, then, z of that feed. I will try and give the hay before anything too rich....

Anyways, I think, at least with the feeds I get cheap or free, that when buying, I always try and take highest protein with some minerals etc incorporated, because often other feeds are not high protein and mine are still growing.

You need to calculate all feed values, so you know if you have right energy and protein in the mix or total ration.

lets say you can get a real high protein feed for similar price to the 12, you can then have poorer hay, or whatever....that is what I would look for anyways if buying a commercial pellet or feed.