Corn Gluten Pellets

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm looking for information on feeding burnt or damaged corn gluten pellets. I'll be supplementing cows but also feeding a few calves. I've had the calves on free choice soy hull pellets . My question; Can I feed the corn gluten free choice? I'll probably get more soy hull pellets and mix the two later but am out right now.

Corn gluten and wheat midds complement each other, ddg and soy hulls complement each other and seem to be the most cost efficient for me. Just what's popular in my area, not a one size fits all ration.

I have fed it in creep feeders mixed 50 % with soy hull pellets before. I'm just not sure about straight corn gluten free choice.

Wide range of food value due to unknown of how much heat damage. High sulfur content if you have any mineral absorption issues already. Will taint meat if direct sales.

I'm currently mixing with grain dust pellets. I was going to use soy hull pellets but found a load of grain dust a lot cheaper. I had a copy of analysis that was given to me on both feeds but I seemed to have misplaced it. If I can find it, I'll post here.

rishaanenterprises":37tf2v01 said:
Corn gluten feed has medium Palatability and may be included in the grain mixture up to a level of 50 percent or fed to cows at a rate of up to 12 pounds (5.4 kg) per cow per day.
You would be much better served to restrict inclusion rates of any ingredient to 20% of the total grain mix with the exception of corn and whatever amount of your primary protein source needed to raise the crude protein to the level desired. Corn gluten feed especially varies tremendously in nutrients due to processing (and overprocessing as Ebenezer mentioned) and should be limited.

Dried distillers grains are an excellent protein and energy supplement for cattle grazing winter range or meadow. The availability of dried distillers grains (DDGS) and its price in comparison to alternative protein supplements make it a competitive feed option.

rishaanenterprises":2l6cbvn0 said:
Dried distillers grains are an excellent protein and energy supplement for cattle grazing winter range or meadow. The availability of dried distillers grains (DDGS) and its price in comparison to alternative protein supplements make it a competitive feed option.
Numerous members on the board use or have used DDG. Most times it's used as an ingredient rather than a complete feed or fed very limited. It too can vary tremendously in it's nutrient profile. Used some milo distillers a few years ago that tested 34% crude protein and was actually guaranteed 32%.

I was feeding whole corn and ddg to calves and just ddg to cattle. Was paying 163/ton for ddg, got a load of damaged gluten for 104/ton so switched to that.
The cows were getting 3lbs a day/head of ddg and doing great. Now they are getting 5lbs of gluten.
I wouldn't put either one freechoice.

I'm feeding about 5lbs corn gluten pellets every other day to most of my cows. They are in pretty good shape. I separated a few thin cows a while back and feeding those about 8 lb per day of grain dust pellets. The thin cows seem to be looking a little better. Also have some weaned calves on 50/50 grain dust and corn gluten. These warm days and foggy nights has made the rye grass come on good so the last 3 days I started them grazing about 2 hours per day. It sure has slowed hay consumption down.

Latest posts