Soyhull pellets/gluten pellets?????

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Well, this never ending rain has guilted me in to feeding a little tooooo much hay free choice. I'm going to run out. Originally thought I might coast in. Have been feeding DDG. Time constraints, I'm throwing that plan out the window. Best deal bulk delivery to the house is on 50/50 soyhull pellets and gluten pellets. That may very well be all they get the last 3 to 4 weeks before the green up. How many pounds of that per cow will get me through. I'm not for seeing acidosis being an issue with that mix. Advise me if I'm wrong.

greybeard said:
Will you still be able to offer at least some hay free choice with the soy/gluten mix?
In the short run yes, but not at the end.

I know some gluten can be high on sulfur. Always something I'm mindful of on mixes with a lot of DDG or gluten. Especially if that's all their diet consists of with no hay or roughage to balance it out.

True Grit Farms said:
Your going to have some hungry cattle. I think the cows need some roughage.
That's why I asked whether it was 100% replacement for hay or to supplement less hay. Even if you could get some trash hay, wheat or rice straw would help, but I realize your muddy wet climate right now isn't helping any at all..
If I were going to do it, I'd start as early as possible and immediately cut the amount of hay available to the bare minimum to make sure they were still getting some roughage at the end of winter into greenup.
There were some discussions on this on NewAgTalk but they were supplementing the ration with some hay.
I've never been in the unenviable position to have to do this.

greybeard said:
True Grit Farms said:
Your going to have some hungry cattle. I think the cows need some roughage.
That's why I asked whether it was 100% replacement for hay or to supplement less hay. Even if you could get some trash hay, wheat or rice straw would help, but I realize your muddy wet climate right now isn't helping any at all..
If I were going to do it, I'd start as early as possible and immediately cut the amount of hay available to the bare minimum to make sure they were still getting some roughage at the end of winter into greenup.
There were some discussions on this on NewAgTalk but they were supplementing the ration with some hay.
I've never been in the unenviable position to have to do this.

This is spot on. That 50/50 mix will run through them like water without some added roughage(I use the same mix to grow out some feeders) corn stalk bales available in the area?

We "hopefully " will have grass coming on, by the time the hay runs out. I always supplement my cows through the green up. How much of this commodity mix, do I need to feed? I'd prop Galt feed 6-8 pounds of ddg during that time. It's becoming a drain getting the ddg (mostly from the rain everyday). I'm gonna weaken, and just have the mix delivered. I can take 6 tons at a time.

Bigfoot said:
We "hopefully " will have grass coming on, by the time the hay runs out. I always supplement my cows through the green up. How much of this commodity mix, do I need to feed? I'd prop Galt feed 6-8 pounds of ddg during that time. It's becoming a drain getting the ddg (mostly from the rain everyday). I'm gonna weaken, and just have the mix delivered. I can take 6 tons at a time.

If it's 18%, 10# to 12# will just about cover the the protein needs of a 3rd trimester cow (1200#+/-). Would have to make sure they're getting the TDN(13#) necessary between the pellets and the amount of hay you end up feeding.

Bigfoot said:

Does it have to be a 50/50 mix of CGF and soyhulls?? Reducing the CGF to 1/3 and using 2/3 soyhulls would be a better mix. Not a huge amount of protein but should be around 12%, highly digestible and 40% fiber (roughage) just not long stem roughage. Acidosis will not be a problem, the just won't stay bulging full all the time.

TexasBred said:
Bigfoot said:

Does it have to be a 50/50 mix of CGF and soyhulls?? Reducing the CGF to 1/3 and using 2/3 soyhulls would be a better mix. Not a huge amount of protein but should be around 12%, highly digestible and 40% fiber (roughage) just not long stem roughage. Acidosis will not be a problem, the just won't stay bulging full all the time.

Thanks. Yes, I can have it mixed any way I want. I'm entering in to my busy time of year for "meetings". I have been going to get the ddg. I need to switch to something I can have delivered.

Latest posts