Alfalfa pellets

Help Support CattleToday:

jinkansas

Reaction score
I was gave 12,000 pounds of alfalfa pellets. They were on a boxcar we were filling with wheat.Manger gave them to me for the hauling.Would it be safe to give to my cows,Or should I get them analyzed for what is in them? Where do I get this done?Any thoughts would be nice.Thanks jinkansas

What size "pellet" the little ones that are samller in diameter then a pencil or the ones that are about the diameter of a good cigar?

As a protein supplement there wouldn;t be a problem. But they need roughage/bulk to keep the guts funtioning properly. Not much different then using any other pelleted supplement, i.e. soy hull pellets, CG pellets, etc.

Ok..I got the scoop today.We are loading out wheat.(on the rail) This car came in with the center hopper full.They forgot to unload it.We are at the end of a long slow line and were going to send it back.But we would of been short one boxcar for the full train (30 cars).Railroad didn't want to mess with it so they said they would find out just what was in it.Came from a feed mill. That used it for their mix in horse,cow,rabbits,turkey,lamb feed.It's just bulk 17% protein alfalfa pellets.With corn,milo and soy oil.So....Guess my cows will love it.Got 12,000 pounds for $100.00.That was my labor and fuel to get it home. I was going to have to buy some alfalfa this year so...Christmas came early for me and my herd. Also I do feed them sorgram feed. They get all they want.I was just short of alfalfa. Thanks for all the answers.....jinkansas