Alfalfa for developing heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
I am going to have a group of 7 heifers that we will be keeping as replacements this year. I have about 5 tons of alfalfa baleage to feed, will I be better off to mix this with a textured feed or will the alfalfa be enough? They will have free choice grass hay and minerals. I believe the alfalfa is 9% protein on an as fed basis.

The alfalfa baleage should be double that in protein, but alfalfa baleage is more than sufficient regardless of the quality of the baleage

Knernsie or TB I know there are studies linked To alfalfa like cotton seed meal that reported cause reproductive problems when heavily used and as CSM can cause other medical problems in heifers.
Would you test it for the estrogens in alfalfa first since he is using this for replacements?

Caustic Burno":2s5hxufo said:
Knernsie or TB I know there are studies linked To alfalfa like cotton seed meal that reported cause reproductive problems when heavily used and as CSM can cause other medical problems in heifers.
Would you test it for the estrogens in alfalfa first since he is using this for replacements?
I did not realize that there could be an issue-will have to look into that.

southernultrablack":3j4owaxs said:
Caustic Burno":3j4owaxs said:
I did not realize that there could be an issue-will have to look into that.

http://extension.psu.edu/animals/dairy/ ... -overreact

The dairy industry here is based on alfalfa. No issues. I myself has raised heifers on alfalfa baleage in times of plenty. They do well, grow without getting excessively fat. If I had it now my heifers would be eating it right now

Caustic Burno":25zpqhja said:

When I think alfalfa I think "dairy cows, not beef" because of the high crude protein levels and the fact that it should be fed as one ingredient in a TMR . Fed free choice beef cattle eat too much of it because it goes through them so fast and they really like it. One of the problems with feeding a high protein diet is that it builds up a too-high urea level in the uterine fluids, blood stream, and changes the pH, and this really hurts your conception rates. Alfalfa fed heavily to bred cattle in the last couple of months gestation are also more apt to have milk fever. If you do have some alfalfa to feed limit feed it with a majority of the diet being grass hay/grazing.

TexasBred":3uogfkju said:
Caustic Burno":3uogfkju said:

When I think alfalfa I think "dairy cows, not beef" because of the high crude protein levels and the fact that it should be fed as one ingredient in a TMR . Fed free choice beef cattle eat too much of it because it goes through them so fast and they really like it. One of the problems with feeding a high protein diet is that it builds up a too-high urea level in the uterine fluids, blood stream, and changes the pH, and this really hurts your conception rates. Alfalfa fed heavily to bred cattle in the last couple of months gestation are also more apt to have milk fever. If you do have some alfalfa to feed limit feed it with a majority of the diet being grass hay/grazing.
:deadhorse: Dang so that's what did it. We thought we were smart cutting our back pasture but when it grew back it most of the grass stayed short and the alfalfa and clover was tall we put them on it and the cows started coming back into heat and we were like what the he!!. Now it makes sense THANK YOU TB lesson learned

TexasBred":3cnztv8w said:
Caustic Burno":3cnztv8w said:

TB this comes in 50# bales and will be fed at a rate of about 7# per head per day, should I add something like a 14% commodity blend to get to around 2% of their body weight? These heifers will be around 700 pounds +/-.

All my hay has some grass in it, 30-70%... heifers get the second cut which is a little higher in alfalfa... if they don't do well on it I don't want them... I think heifers ought to eat what the cows eat and do well, though perhaps fed a little more

southernultrablack":24d8ltzi said:
TexasBred":24d8ltzi said:
Caustic Burno":24d8ltzi said:

TB this comes in 50# bales and will be fed at a rate of about 7# per head per day, should I add something like a 14% commodity blend to get to around 2% of their body weight? These heifers will be around 700 pounds +/-.
The grain won't hurt anything but I'd also make sure they got at least as much grazing and/or hay as alfalfa.

Nesikep":36pokx50 said:
All my hay has some grass in it, 30-70%... heifers get the second cut which is a little higher in alfalfa... if they don't do well on it I don't want them... I think heifers ought to eat what the cows eat and do well, though perhaps fed a little more
With that much alfalfa in it and if it's cut "on time" that should be a great mix.

TexasBred":dah2n3vg said:
Nesikep":dah2n3vg said:
With that much alfalfa in it and if it's cut "on time" that should be a great mix.
It's usually cut probably 10 days late depending on the grass mix.. timothy always takes darned eons to head out and the OG is early.. try and get it at a happy medium with nothing being over ripe... and the weather has to cooperate as well

Latest posts