Soybean trash?

Help Support CattleToday:

Was it green or had it been sprayed with roundup? No one here bales soybean trash. The greenage is all killed with roundup before the beans are picked.

i didnt realize you could gather soybean stubble to bale. do you mean that you actually baled the soybean crop? if so, then last year we baled some of that. i hated it but it helped to get thru the winter. didnt have any problems with it, it just wasnt my cup of tea to mess with. it has alot of grain and leaves in it.

Some people around here bale it up too..a couple have offered it to me. Same people have told me to be careful...because it is like "sticks" and that these "sticks" can punture a cows stomach (resulting in illness/death). I personally have never fed it, and so I am only passing on heresay.

Donna

Edited to add: they say the cows love the soy stubble.

I doubt soybean stubble can be much more sticky than peanut hay and cows love the peanut hay. And I am sure it is no more sticky than gin trash and cows love it too. In light of this, I don't think there would be any problem with it sticking through their gut.

My cows love the peanut hay. It's nasty as sin to bale it, but it sure keeps them with some good protein and the squirts! :)

My old Animal Feeding and Nutrition book gives a book value for "soybean straw" as follows:
TDN for cattle 33%
Protein 4.6%
Dry matter 88%
crude fiber 38.9%
cellulose 33%
ADF 47%

I am making the assumption this is same feedstuff if you have already combined the beans. Not many groceries in this.

I have not fed it...I was simply informing a person that it can cause problems...and yes the persons who sell me hay ...keep the worst for them self and that is soystubble...but then i am in IL... and yes i believe it could be a problem and only am making this post in the hopes that some "newbe" doesn't buy the stuff and then loose his animal due to its injury.

Guess it depends who you r and where u are. donna

Latest posts