cottonseed and soybean meal

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of adding these to a feed source. and how do they compare with just maybe putting out a lick tub?

Any replies would be helpful

GMN

GMN":12ymp5qe said:
What are the pros and cons of adding these to a feed source. and how do they compare with just maybe putting out a lick tub?

GMN

Do a search on this!

There is a huge amount of fact and opinion to be found here. I bet it takes you a week to read it all.

Bez!

Bez!":23ru2fh4 said:
GMN":23ru2fh4 said:

GMN

Do a search on this!

There is a huge amount of fact and opinion to be found here. I bet it takes you a week to read it all.

Bez!

A week I'm thinking a month at least! :p :p

Depends on what the nutritional requirements of the animals you're feeding and the forage quality. Often a decent forage in sufficient quantity balanced by a good mineral will meet the nutritional requirements of dry brood cows, heifers etc. Feeding commodities such as corn, SBM, cottonseed hulls, etc. will certainly work fine but you do have to have the time, feed bunks, etc. Tubs are often used for convenience but do come at a price.

GMN,
just one thing here.
tubs tend to have a lot of NPN (non-protein nitrogen) that makes up the protein level. Often times this protein is not utilized by the animal. With soy or cotton meal you get more utilizable protein. You can often do a 3:1 mix of either meal to salt as a protein source instead of a block. the salt will limit the uptake.

Many tubs do have npn but not all. Many tubs have to rely on feathermeal to get any significant amount of natural protein in them. There are corn distillers based tubs on the market that have 20% all natural protein coming from distillers grains. Really depends on your labor and management which will work best for you.

Latest posts