Soy-bean Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo

Reaction score
thats Soy minus bean hay :)

I have someone that is going to bale his soybean fields this year.
The drought has been bad and they haven't grown much let alone seeded. Wants to know if I want to buy it.

Anybody have any idea what the feed value is likely to be?

Howdyjabo":1zbh57op said:
thats Soy minus bean hay :)

I have someone that is going to bale his soybean fields this year.
The drought has been bad and they haven't grown much let alone seeded. Wants to know if I want to buy it.

Anybody have any idea what the feed value is likely to be?
cut green or cut matured? Where are you that it got that dry this year? I'm starting to wonder if the old USDA isn't holding info back or maybe it just isn't very widespread but your not the first I've heard say they are looking at a complete loss. Has this individual checked with the crop insurance agent to see if he can harvest the crop for hay without losing a portion of the loss payment? If memory serves me right before full pod it is about the same as early bloom alfalfa. After pod set it will yield more but it wasn't as good feed value.

Hes gonna cut and bale it soon-- its green and some fields are only 8 inches tall- the others might be a foot.

I'm in central NC- we got hit hard with the drought except on the coastal areas. Theres not much crop land around here- might be even less after this year.

Luckily the insurance doesn't care what he does with it.

I had the wrong idea about it as hay- I figured the feed value was in the beans and the plant was just fibre.

Thanks

I'm like somn I'm starting to wonder about the size of these crops.Here in southwest Ohio these beans are almost a complete loss.My crop insurance adjuster released my beans to be baled if I want to.I would have to leave a few 10 foot strips to check for yield.

Larry

larryshoat":1kea0wsb said:
I'm like somn I'm starting to wonder about the size of these crops.Here in southwest Ohio these beans are almost a complete loss.My crop insurance adjuster released my beans to be baled if I want to.I would have to leave a few 10 foot strips to check for yield.

Larry

They started baling the soybeans here ( W. KY) this week. Wilted, short, no pods but still green. I think it was the only green thing left.

new question-- for reason beyond our control the soybeans are going to be well mature and very stemmy when it can be cut for hay.
Will the cows still eat it well if thats all they have.Or will they waste all the stems.
Where we are feeding this chopping is not an option

Howdyjabo":15egmfrb said:
new question-- for reason beyond our control the soybeans are going to be well mature and very stemmy when it can be cut for hay.
Will the cows still eat it well if thats all they have.Or will they waste all the stems.
Where we are feeding this chopping is not an option
they will eat the leaves an beans.an they should eat most if not all the stems.

Way back in the 1960's I remember helping a fellow who removed the chopper from the combine, then baling the soybean stubble and using it to feed during the winter along with other hay types. I remember it being very stemmy but the animals ate it. I think with the druoght, high feed prices, shortages, etc we will be seeing more use of crop "waste"

If you can't find hay you might better buy whatever you can get and then feed something else for energy.

Latest posts