Sowing Fescue and Rye Together Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a few areas that were hit pretty hard by the drought we had and I will need to re-seed them in the Spring. I had thought about sowing fescue and rye together (along with some ladino clover) to jumpstart the grass in those areas. But, I seem to recall someone on here saying that it was a bad idea to do that because the rye would crowd out the fescue. Is sowing them at the same time a bad idea?

sstterry said:
I have a few areas that were hit pretty hard by the drought we had and I will need to re-seed them in the Spring. I had thought about sowing fescue and rye together (along with some ladino clover) to jumpstart the grass in those areas. But, I seem to recall someone on here saying that it was a bad idea to do that because the rye would crowd out the fescue. Is sowing them at the same time a bad idea?
The rye will not crowd out the fescue. We always sowed a nurse crop of rye, oats, wheat to give the fescue some shade.

Are you talking cereal rye or annual ryegrass? Have seen many posts on this board where posters say 'rye' but they're talking about ryegrass.
If ryegrass, it will indeed give the fescue some stiff competition

Lucky_P said:
Are you talking cereal rye or annual ryegrass? Have seen many posts on this board where posters say 'rye' but they're talking about ryegrass.
If ryegrass, it will indeed give the fescue some stiff competition
I agree. Guess my mind always goes to cereal rye.

I'd do rye, wheat or oats but not ryegrass. In a dry spell the ryegrass will suck every drop of water out of the rootzone. If you have concern over competition just put the small grains in a contour strip one planter or spinner width wide every 40 to 60'. And if pH is good you can frost seed clovers in February by broadcasting.

Would also avoid planting clover with your fescue in the first year. I tend to want as little competition for the fescue as possible in year one, let it establish a good root system, then plant clover in year two. Also, if you plant clover in the first year, you lose all of your weed control options.

Another big thing that stops most fescue stands from being successfully established is too much grazing too soon. In an ideal world, you would shut the gate for 12 months after you throw out the seed. You can probably get by with some light grazing later in the first spring, but don't expect it to be like a 5 year old stand 3 months after planting. If you will take the time and let it establish, it will persist for a looonnnnnggg time.

Latest posts