Southwest Texas Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Good conversation. A couple of questions:

What genetics do you all run? I saw B&M was crossing Brangus Dam with Hereford Sire. That would seem to be a good cross here in IL as well.

To go along with that, a lot of people purchase breeding heifers from the Sale Barn. How do they know what the genetics history is? They are not discussed in the ring, and my small amount of experience would make me believe very few sellers even really know the genetics. Are a lot of people just running whatever mix they end up with based on BCS and experienced gueses? Cross your fingers and hope it produces good offspring because the heifer looks good sort of attitude? Even when purchasing a feeder steer, it seems genetics are not really known yet important even if no breeding is planned. Am I missing something or are most people just not doing a good job paying attention to genetics in order to maximize profits? Frankly, most people just seem to say its an angus if it's black or a hereford if it is red and white.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Goodlife":3m7wsyz1 said:
Good conversation. A couple of questions:

What genetics do you all run? I saw B&M was crossing Brangus Dam with Hereford Sire. That would seem to be a good cross here in IL as well.

To go along with that, a lot of people purchase breeding heifers from the Sale Barn. How do they know what the genetics history is? They are not discussed in the ring, and my small amount of experience would make me believe very few sellers even really know the genetics. Are a lot of people just running whatever mix they end up with based on BCS and experienced gueses? Cross your fingers and hope it produces good offspring because the heifer looks good sort of attitude? Even when purchasing a feeder steer, it seems genetics are not really known yet important even if no breeding is planned. Am I missing something or are most people just not doing a good job paying attention to genetics in order to maximize profits? Frankly, most people just seem to say its an angus if it's black or a hereford if it is red and white.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Your right on not knowing the genetics down to the T but I am looking for Angus and Hereford type cattle with Brahman influence. I only buy middle to aged heavies through the barn you can tell a lot by looking at a working girl.
I usually calf her out rebreed split the pair and resale. If she raise's an exceptional calf she will get a second chance with my bull. I haven't bought any in a few years due to herd reduction for health reason's. The drought will make rebuilding a very expensive for the next several years.

Caustic BurnoYour right on not knowing the genetics down to the T but I am looking for Angus and Hereford type cattle with Brahman influence. I only buy middle to aged heavies through the barn you can tell a lot by looking at a working girl. I usually calf her out rebreed split the pair and resale. If she raise's an exceptional calf she will get a second chance with my bull. I haven't bought any in a few years due to herd reduction for health reason's. The drought will make rebuilding a very expensive for the next several years.[/quote said:
Makes sense CB. What do you look for that indicates Brahma influence? Hump is the most obvious I would guess. Some speckles on the belly perhaps? Does Brahma influence mean higher horn liklihood?

Goodlife":3n2ubhiu said:
Caustic BurnoYour right on not knowing the genetics down to the T but I am looking for Angus and Hereford type cattle with Brahman influence. I only buy middle to aged heavies through the barn you can tell a lot by looking at a working girl. I usually calf her out rebreed split the pair and resale. If she raise's an exceptional calf she will get a second chance with my bull. I haven't bought any in a few years due to herd reduction for health reason's. The drought will make rebuilding a very expensive for the next several years.[/quote:3n2ubhiu said:
Makes sense CB. What do you look for that indicates Brahma influence? Hump is the most obvious I would guess. Some speckles on the belly perhaps? Does Brahma influence mean higher horn liklihood?

Whoaa boy! Goodlife, step on the brakes!!!! Your eye is not going to be any where near the eye of Caustic's or many other's on this board!..... when it comes to the offerings of an auction barn. My eye does not compare with their eye just due to experience and I have purchased a few. The barn is is a mix of crap and mediocore and good deals. How good is your eye? Either you cruise on over to Caustics and see if he can go to the sale barn with you OR go to a breeeder and make some picks. The sale barn is not for the faint of heart UNLESS you have a lot of money to throw away or a hell of an eye.

Goodlife":3h7yv2kj said:
Caustic BurnoYour right on not knowing the genetics down to the T but I am looking for Angus and Hereford type cattle with Brahman influence. I only buy middle to aged heavies through the barn you can tell a lot by looking at a working girl. I usually calf her out rebreed split the pair and resale. If she raise's an exceptional calf she will get a second chance with my bull. I haven't bought any in a few years due to herd reduction for health reason's. The drought will make rebuilding a very expensive for the next several years.[/quote:3h7yv2kj said:

James gave you some good advice you need to get a good mentor in your area to help you shop.
Now you have no idea about the genetic's in the woodpile of that salebarn cow so you have no idea if the calf is polled or not. Secondly if the girl running through the ring and blowing snot has a hump she is not Brimmer influenced she is Brimmer. You are looking for some ear with dew lap and navel and this varies greatly. You take two registered Brangus one will have more Brimmer charateristics the next more Angus.
The salebarn is not an evil place it is buyer beware you must be willing to take a hit once in a while.
I took a hit on good lookin Branhus girl a few years back came through the ring 8 by 7 good udder eye's disposition.
Three months later no calf in the chute she went ran my arm up her ass and she was carrying a mumified calf , got my neighbor to check her as well. Back to the barn she went to go to Wolf Brand chili. I lost on her not a lot but is was still a loss of vaccines, feed, time,and fuel when a productive girl could have been standing in the pasture.

Caustic Burno":20gtmsvx said:
hooknline":20gtmsvx said:
Caustic id shake your hand if i could for that last post alone.

Well Thanks a lot I just haven't figured out what I got this attaboy for.
Because its accurate, funny, and blunt all at the same time

You are right that I do not have much of an eye yet. I go to the sale barn not even bringing a trailer just to improve my eye. I have sat there many times wishing I had some experience mentoring me. So I sure wish I could get a day waling around the sale barn yard with Caustic, Dun, You, Snickers or so many others on this board that have as the saying goes "forgotten more than I'll ever know." I have a neighbor that raises registered angus. I will probably purchase some feeders from him to start. I don't plan on purchasing any breeder cattle until I am comfortable that I am making the right choice. I will make mistakes that will cost money no doubt, but I plan on trying to minimize them by reading, talking on this board with you guys that are mentoring whether you are aware of it or not :clap: I am new around here and hoping I can learn a lot from the neighbor. Not familiar enough to know if he is interested or not yet. But I agree with your advice and I will not be [urchasing at the sale barn by myself for some time. I have a couple of uncles that raise a few head of cattle and want to meet at the sale barn to visit anyway. I will be taking them up on that offer although I am not sure they are "cattle curus", they have much more experience than I do.

Snickers, if you are ever going to the Fruitland sale barn and want some company, let me know. I would enjoy the company and jump at the opportunity to learn a few things from you. Let me know in advance as I work and you know the sales are on Tuesdays. I'll take a vacation day.

Thanks to all for your willingness to teach us rookies a thing or two.

Ed

Another option for the hot drought prone states are any Sanga breed or composites, while relatively new to the USA they are more common in south American countries and growing in popularity, many herd in Australia have crossed with mainly Tuli to improve foraging, heat tolerance and fertility. Bonsmara are a good composite, and have also been used in Africa to moderate some of the percieved problems in the Santa Gertrudis such as frame size and temperament, in the USA they have a premium buy back policy which depending on your viewpoint is an advantage for guarenteed market, or not if you are more independent by nature. Tuli and Mashona cross females are available with purebreds becomming more available, semen and some embryos are available, one large ranch in Hawaii is introducing Tuli after seeing the crosses during the drought in Australia, various Brahman/Sanga crosses have become popular in severe drought environments to take advantage of the Taurus/Indicus heterosis without compromising on heat tolerance, the Veldmaster is a growing composite, and large scale crossing of Brazu Indus to Tuli in Mexico has improved fertility and beef quality.
Some Veldmaster pictures; http://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/videos ... eldmasters
Some Argentinian composites; http://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/photos ... d=11217628
http://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/photos ... id=9912115
Hope this adds some out of the box thinking.

andybob":22gbd5wd said:
Another option for the hot drought prone states are any Sanga breed or composites, while relatively new to the USA they are more common in south American countries and growing in popularity, many herd in Australia have crossed with mainly Tuli to improve foraging, heat tolerance and fertility. Bonsmara are a good composite, and have also been used in Africa to moderate some of the percieved problems in the Santa Gertrudis such as frame size and temperament, in the USA they have a premium buy back policy which depending on your viewpoint is an advantage for guarenteed market, or not if you are more independent by nature. Tuli and Mashona cross females are available with purebreds becomming more available, semen and some embryos are available, one large ranch in Hawaii is introducing Tuli after seeing the crosses during the drought in Australia, various Brahman/Sanga crosses have become popular in severe drought environments to take advantage of the Taurus/Indicus heterosis without compromising on heat tolerance, the Veldmaster is a growing composite, and large scale crossing of Brazu Indus to Tuli in Mexico has improved fertility and beef quality.
Some Veldmaster pictures; http://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/videos ... eldmasters
Some Argentinian composites; http://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/photos ... d=11217628
http://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/photos ... id=9912115
Hope this adds some out of the box thinking.

Has anyone here in Texas tried these sanga cows?

Latest posts