Sore feet/legs what is it?

Help Support CattleToday:

kathy

Reaction score
Hi, Just brought in 4 heifers from out of state. Right off the get go the vet came out and administered Tetradur? sp. due to some coughing. They were on the road for 3 days, and recieved alot of excercise the day we vaccinated. Problem they are all acting a little stiff, sore footed. Also could it have anything to do with the feed change, restarting them on grain, and hay different from what they're used too. The bull that came out is doing just fine on the same feed, girls just seem to be having a more difficult time adjusting. Thanks

It seems to me that having been confined in a trailer for 3 days, then being worked for vaccinations would be enough to make them stiff and sore. I think I would just watch them for a day or so and see what happened.

kathy":2d0nwo12 said:
Hi, Just brought in 4 heifers from out of state. Right off the get go the vet came out and administered Tetradur? sp. due to some coughing. They were on the road for 3 days, and recieved alot of excercise the day we vaccinated. Problem they are all acting a little stiff, sore footed. Also could it have anything to do with the feed change, restarting them on grain, and hay different from what they're used too. The bull that came out is doing just fine on the same feed, girls just seem to be having a more difficult time adjusting. Thanks

How much did you feed them and were they used to grain to begin with? they are probably just sore from standing so much for 3 days and possibly being on unfamiliar footing like concrete or gravel. OR they could be foundering if you fed them too much and they werent used to it. you said restarting so i guess theyve been on it, so how much did you feed? also, whenever i get a cold i tend to be a little groggy too. stiff neck, dont want to move around a lot, etc.

When receiving cattle i like to start on hay only. next day have some good feed but slowly. Another post talking about probios, read this one. probios would be one of the first think that hits the gut. i like to hold off on the water also. sounds weird but hey really need some feed first befor they fill up on water. Give them a chance to settle and eat. Then allow water. Were talking a few hours. Not that long. Use your best judgment. three day cattle may be too long. i don't get cattle shipped like that. The first time i saw another agreement on this was on the cattle show a few weeks ago. I am not promoting their product but specific feeds are made for your situation. And they keep cattle off water for a little while. The thinking is they will fill up on water and that can lead to the founder and other problems. The only other thing I can think of may not settle your stomach at all. Some times Selenium deficiencies can cause calcification of joints. There is a name for this but I can't think of it. Keep the minerals out. Hope this helps.

Scotty

Thanks I appreciate the advice. Although I didn't hold back water, when they arrived. If there's a next time I will consider that. The bull I brought in didn't seem to have any adverse effects of the trip, also a couple of the heifers are suppose to travel again in Jan. to Denver. Any advice on that? So as to not repeat this problem? Today they seem to be less stiff, and the stiffness seems to be on the side injected.

You may consider taking more time to travel. If they are halter broke you might stop ever so many miles and take em out and let them walk. have help and do this at a place were you can. A rodeo arena or such. Don't want one to get away. If they are not broke to lead might still stop and feed and water. Some anumals stop up and don't function. Never heard of cattle but horses will.

Scotty

kathy":1k25095a said:
Thanks I appreciate the advice. Although I didn't hold back water, when they arrived. If there's a next time I will consider that. The bull I brought in didn't seem to have any adverse effects of the trip, also a couple of the heifers are suppose to travel again in Jan. to Denver. Any advice on that? So as to not repeat this problem? Today they seem to be less stiff, and the stiffness seems to be on the side injected.

When we are hauling cattle long distances - we either drive straight through if we can do that in less than 24 hours; or call stock yards on the way and let the cattle out of the trailer into the pens for the evening and night so they have access to feed, water, and can move around and stretch. If they temp's are hot, we will also stop periodically during the day so they can drink.

Latest posts