Sometimes you should just stay in bed.

Help Support CattleToday:

The ones you could have saved are the ones that hurt the most.
Sorry, she was a really nice one.

Sorry about it, daughter lost one today that laid down head kinda downhill and feet uphill and just looks like she could not get up. Nice Gelbvieh 3 year old just ready to calf.

Thanks guys , yup just one of the sucky parts of owning livestock.

Hate that saying "if you have livestock you are going to have dead stock" but it sure is true enough . :(

Sorry about your daughters heifer Tom .

Sorry HD. No one likes taking a loss like that. I have a tire feeder too. Don't use it but it is in the pasture. Now I am thinking of getting rid of the thing.

I got lucky with a calf situation a week ago. He got his head in one of those plastic strawberry planters. The planter was stuck around his head and he was running through the pasture. No way for him to nurse or forage. It blinded him from the side. Each time I tried to sneak up another calf would shy and he'd run with them. About the third try up close I grabbed and he backed out allowing me to pull it off. It was stuck on there good.

Sorry to hear that news HD. Stuff like that happens. We have heifers away on agistment. 363 joined heifers are in one paddock which is crossed by a seldom-used private road. After some consideration, I had sent a nice bucket-reared heifer which we had given to one of our grandsons to start his herd. One heifer was hit and killed by a truck on the road. You know which one it was.

Sorry that you lost a good one.

The solution is to get a bunch of sorry old rips that chase you up the fence every time you get near. Those kind never die even if you want them to..

Sorry to hear of your loss, HD. I am in the hills and them going caste is always a concern here.

I found one yesterday morning that had laid down to calve with her head downhill, dead calf behind her (also a nice heifer), and her eyes rolling. Neighbor and I got her turned over and she recovered later in the day. I should have put her in the corral when I saw her water the evening before. I may do that with heifers from now on. However as you found, something else can happen.

On the positive side that is a nice new heifer calf in your picture. Some thing to build on.

I had another cow have a nice calf shortly after turning the heifer so need to look at the positive side.

The problem with cattle though, compared to hogs for example, is that with one calf per year EVERYTHING takes so long. Any breeding improvements can take years to show up. Glad to hear your herd is moving the way you want.

Stuff just happens some times. Look at the positives. They usually outweigh the negatives.

Jim

so what was the cause of death then? did she exahust herself or did her guts suffocate her. i get the trapped part but ive seen cows stuck in mud all day and not die

Thanks everyone !

DB , she was pretty much upside down, that is what killed her . If she been able to get herself upright a little more she probably would have bloated but not enough to kill her. However being heavy bred like that, she had everything going against her as far as gravity was concerned . :(

Sorry to hear that HD. :(

We had a heifer get her head caught in a mineral feeder of all things and one of her front legs was also caught.
Don't ask me how but hubby got her to pick up that front hoof like a horse and get her unstuck.
Feeder went to the scrap heap.

Latest posts