Somethings Happen....

Help Support CattleToday:

We tend to have as much as 1% not make it full term. As far as I know that's well within normal range, correct me if I'm wrong.
Never culled for it, never had a repeat and it never gets worse.
Also don't cull for uterine prolapse, if I like them and they breed back on time they stay. Never seen a cow do that twice either.

The keeping them works both ways, she will probably get and stay real fat, maybe get cystic, or maybe just move along and calve.
Around here no second chances, ( exception is the first one my daughter made with A I) I don't even smoke or drink, occasionally I remove my shirt LOL. I have sold some good ones!!
Its really anybody choice and what works in there operation

I love it when somebody else provides the genetics and and the expense that goes with it, and I buy her for a dime over slaughter because she lost a calf. I call them herd builders.

Silver said:
We tend to have as much as 1% not make it full term. As far as I know that's well within normal range, correct me if I'm wrong.
Never culled for it, never had a repeat and it never gets worse.
Also don't cull for uterine prolapse, if I like them and they breed back on time they stay. Never seen a cow do that twice either.
I culled once for an abortion with a first calf heifer. Honestly, I only retained her because I liked her lineage but never felt the love. All others I have given a 2nd chance. And I've (fortunately!) only had one uterine prolapse - she's now one of my best cows and one of the first to calve.

I don't always immediately cull if a cow fails to raise a calf but she is a marked cow and is the first to go when the time is right and i watch any daughters she has i have retained very closely. My dad is terrible, he will make excuses for the worst of the worst cows.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
I suppose much depends on one's financial condition.

What does that have to do with proper cattle management? There's very few if any CT members that can't afford to keep a cow as a pet if they choose. It's just not what your supposed to do. I'm guilty of doing it myself but I sure won't promote the practice.

Some people aren't that caught in worrying about pennies.
Not all of us run hobby farms. It's our livelihood.

Does anyone know the official number of cattle you should have in order to determine when you cross over from a hobby farmer to a hardcore rancher? I'm curious?

Are there other parameters as well, such as the size of tractor, how many semen tanks you own, etc....

NEFarmwife said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:
What does that have to do with proper cattle management? There's very few if any CT members that can't afford to keep a cow as a pet if they choose. It's just not what your supposed to do. I'm guilty of doing it myself but I sure won't promote the practice.

I totally get and respect that. Some of us fool with cattle for the fun of it. Nice that we can both be happy.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
NEFarmwife said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

I totally get and respect that. Some of us fool with cattle for the fun of it. Nice that we can both be happy.

Happiness is KEY, TT!

I had one born like that about 10 yrs ago. If I remember correctly it was about the same stage gestation wise. The momma was licking it and wouldn't let me near it, by the time I made it back the calf was gone. Let us know if you figure anything out.

************* said:
Does anyone know the official number of cattle you should have in order to determine when you cross over from a hobby farmer to a hardcore rancher? I'm curious?

Are there other parameters as well, such as the size of tractor, how many semen tanks you own, etc....

To be a hardcore Rancher you need at least 500 mother cows, a real junky "feed truck", A dedicated bull pasture, a backgrounding pasture, at least 2 horses / 3 dogs, and several big tractors that might crank. This is just for starters. Oh yea you also can't call any body of water a lake unless it's at least 20 acres.

Forgot the most important part of being a real Rancher.....You can't have a job that issues a paycheck signed by anyone other than yourself.

************* said:

Tied to net returns.

Ebenezer said:
************* said:

Tied to net returns.

What are "Net returns", where can I buy them?

************* said:

I am surrounded by full time ranchers none of which have a day job. I don't believe any of them own a semen tank. I own the only tractor in the area under 100 hp. They all have working dogs and horses though the numbers vary from place to place. The guy with the least number of cows has only one horse and one dog. The guy with the most cows probably has the most dogs but doesn't have the most horses. They all own quads. Most of them look like they were involved in a demolition derby. Most have a newer pickup in the driveway that is their town rig but their daily driver looks a tad worse for wear. Small 4x4 SUV's are the most popular calving rig. Easy to maneuver, plenty of space for supplies, and with the back seat folded down there is room for dogs and calves needing warmed up. And most importantly, an old beat up SUV can be purchased real cheap.

Redgully said:
To me hardcore is reached when you have cow shltt on your hands and dont bother to wash them before eating lunch.

LOL! That's disgusting. They probably palpate without plastic gloves as well.

Latest posts