Can this happen when cows are cycling

Help Support CattleToday:

coxy

Reaction score
Hi there I came home after work to do chores and one of my cows has a vaginal prolapse. I have never had one before but since it's breeding season it's the only thing I can think off is that she was riding cows cycling. Any thoughts....?? On the bright side I had an angus cow calve by herself a set of angus bull twins both of which were over 90 lbs each.

Coxy,

This has happen to me before during the cycle I'm not what causes this but get her to the vet and then to the sale barn because it can happen again.

Sorry, not really, but I'm completely lost. Cow in heat prolasped from riding other cows. And what a nice set of twins. So I don't sound like a complete idiot, the cow in heat in most cases gets ridden, not the one riding, but that's not always the case as I have seen....... Nice twins???

Just confused.

Alan

Cow in heat will try to ride other cows, which usually doesn't work out too well for her, unless there's another one in heat... Sometimes the bull will be nice and let her be on top for a while too. I've had a number of cows with vaginal prolapses, but never during breeding season, always the last month before calving, and if they're bad, the month after as well.

What a set of twins!

Hello everyone I can't explain the vaginal prolapse it wasn't a uterine prolapse but today after work it was back inside her and was bred by the bull....and the twins well I feel embarrassed cause when I was giving grain,, the cow didn't come for pellets and was nursing both calves. I did check the back ends of the rest of the cows that were due to calve and nothing else looked like they calved.... But again today after work that black one and another red cow were trying to win the affection of one bull calf. I grabbed the other bull and both kicked and wouldn't let him suck. Not sure which one is which calves mom but one cow got the calf she wanted and the other is being persuaded to have the other bull. :oops:

Thanks for replies and won't let me take pics from my iPhone but would gladly do it if I could
Cheers!!

Nesikep":j9g5oavb said:
Twins, quite possibly as confusing for the owner as the cow lol, good luck!

Thanks Nesikep and I think it happens to the best of us lol she is still resisting her calf but the lariat will prevail and it'll be only a matter of time. The pens are sure wet from the inch of rain we got and makes it more interesting trying to be Roy Rodgers haha

Latest posts