Some Spring calf shots

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
Thought I would post some photos. I always love looking at other cattle, so here is some of ours.

This fist calf is a mid feb purebred bull calf. He was weighed tonight, 658 pounds at 6 months on only grass and mom. His dam is a small cow, only 1100 pounds at her heaviest. She is a Shear Force bred cow, he is her third calf. His sire is a Dominator son, a bull we sold two years ago. This calf will stay a bull. We noticed tonight he has foot rot, so we brought him down and gave him some LA 300 (that is why he was weighed). That is why he is holding his foot up, it is sore!
IMG_9736.JPG

And my son getting the meds drawn up and the calf treated
IMG_9754.JPG

This is a mid-march embryo heifer calf sired by Club King. We are pretty happy with her!
IMG_9741.JPG

This is a Feb Steel Force embryo bull calf. We are pretty happy with him, and we might keep him for a few years to clean up cows.
IMG_9746.JPG

And a butt shot
IMG_9743.JPG

And just a general herd shot...
IMG_9742.JPG

Very nice. I am only concerned with a bull that had hoof rot as a calf. In my experience once a problem always a problem....

I personally think hoof rot is an over used term. Basically it becomes a catch all for lameness.

good looking cattle...and I agree with 3way on the red bull..! they all look good though...

Gators Rule":1vbtiyph said:
I personally think hoof rot is an over used term. Basically it becomes a catch all for lameness.

good looking cattle...and I agree with 3way on the red bull..! they all look good though...
Gators, I would trust Fire Sweep so I am not doubting her, but I agree with you 100%. I have stated what you say at least three times on this forum. I have been at this full-time for three years and cattlement see a limp in this part of the state where I am at and they call it "foot rot". I have even discussed it with the vet that does 85% of the cattle in a tri-county area here. He said the same thing. People see a limp that may be a hoof or soft tissue injury and they give LA-200 OR LA-300 w/o even looking.

Ohrmundt Simmentals":6v1m0pnn said:
Very nice calves Firesweep. Really like the Steel Force he's got depth and length with a butt to boot. Hope the red bull gets better.

They are good looking cattle. Both bull calves look great, but I agree on the Steel Force calf. That's a really nice calf.

fitz

Nice looking young bull. The udder on that red cow is very weak and what I can see of the black cows udder it's not great either. Is the red cow registered?? Still nice stock and it's great the kids are hands on.

highgrit":3p38i4o8 said:
Nice looking young bull. The udder on that red cow is very weak and what I can see of the black cows udder it's not great either. Is the red cow registered?? Still nice stock and it's great the kids are hands on.
The red cow is just a recip, carrying a Built Right x Joys Shadow (full sib to Joy L123) calf due in about 40 days. She is sired by a Trademark son. Her udder with her first calf last year was OK, she seems to be filling in just the rear quarters this year. Time will tell. The Black cow is also a recip, carrying an embryo sired by Dream On x Lola, another Ebony Antoinette sister. That calf will be a 3/4 sib to Built Right! The cow has raised us lots of embryo calves, and only had one natural calf her first time. She is getting arthritic in her hip, so I am not sure how many more calves she can raise, but she always weans off one of the heaviest ones and is a great dam. We have made our money on her several times. She is due in about 21 days.
We have problems off and on with foot rot, some years nothing and some years several. Never had a calf with it, but after running my finger between his toes and smelling it, along with the separated digits and swelling of the tissue over the coronary band (where the hair meets the hoof), no doubt it is foot rot.
Thanks for the nice comments guys. We have made huge advancements with a little investment into some good embryos.

Have you experienced or seen any hoof problems with Steel Force? I saw an embryo calf this spring out of him and a good show cow with the worst screw toes I have ever seen, not sure which woodpile that came from.

redcowsrule33":2e4v43n5 said:
Have you experienced or seen any hoof problems with Steel Force? I saw an embryo calf this spring out of him and a good show cow with the worst screw toes I have ever seen, not sure which woodpile that came from.

Forgot to respond to this, sorry! I have not seen screw foot in Steel Force cows, but I have not been around a bunch as cows, only calves. Seeing screw toes as a calf, that is unusual! That one would go down the road real quick! The few times I have seen it is in older cows, usually three or older. I don't know why... Just my experience, or lack there of ;-)

Really like the two bull calves. I haven't ever seen a Steel Force calf that I didn't like though. Not a real big fan of Club King, but the heifer calf looks nice as well. It looks as though you have plenty of help with those cattle, aren't you lucky and blessed. Keep up the good work with those cattle and those good kids!

Latest posts