Some more pics

Help Support CattleToday:

KMacGinley

Reaction score
cow_pics_10-17_005.jpg

This is the other Ohlde bull we bought... He is the sire of the bull calf some people appreciated from a previous photo session out on pasture.

cow_pics_10-17_002.jpg

This is one of my favorite cows, she is a Nichols bred cow and thank goodness we have a lot of daughters in the herd. All heifers so far but 1. She is an 8 year old

cow_pics_10-17_008.jpg

This is a 4 year old Boyd's New Day daughter.

cow_pics_10-17_013.jpg

This is a 2 year old SAF Directive heifer, just calved yesterday.
cow_pics_10-17_015.jpg

This is a July 10th. heifer out of our Legend son.

baxter78":1eypt6gj said:
The nichols bred cow looks a little light in the rear.
baxter78-

My wife made the same comment, until I pointed out that this cow is eight years old, and has had at least six or seven calves, nursing one currently, and is a heck of a lot better cow than the average Angus eight year old cow! . . . and . . . . it is never accurate to judge an animal by it's picture. I would gladly accept several eight year old Donors like this one!

I have been perusing a dozen or so Fall sale catalogs this month, and the quality of a lot of the current cattle for sale leaves a lot to be desired. You have to really watch the Phenotype AND ALL of the EPD's, balancing them together so as to not be banging your head into a brick wall on traits and characteristics. Lee Leachman mentioned in his "No Better Bull" Seminar last night that "More is NOT better - that Cows with over +25 Milk EPD will have lower fertility, and that Higher OUTPUT cattle will have higher INPUTS, resulting in larger mature size, therefore more expensive to maintain, with no more productive profit at the end of the year. Consequently, we need to work for lower WEIGHTS and SIZE in our herd Matrons.

I like your Nichols cow, Mac. Your Ohlde Bulls will moderate the overall size of your cowherd very well indeed.

DOC HARRIS

I think you are right about the age factor Doc. We have noticed that as a cow gets over 10 years old, they lose
some muscle. Here's Bonnie Sue, photo taken at 15 yrs:

BonnieSue.jpg

Her hindquarter used to be bigger as I recall.

OK Jeanne":1l9rrp41 said:
I think you are right about the age factor Doc. We have noticed that as a cow gets over 10 years old, they lose
some muscle. Here's Bonnie Sue, photo taken at 15 yrs:

BonnieSue.jpg

If I didn't know you as well as I do I would have thought you were bragging just a little OK Jeanne! ;-) :lol2:

:D ...maybe just a little :oops:

I really do miss her -- she's in cow heaven now; died at 16 1/2 apparently of a sudden case of pneumonia that
we didn't notice until too late. The two cow photos I posted on the thread "clean-fronted" is her daughter,
Suzie Q, and we have one other daughter, Bonnie Sue II.

Nice looking bull,are you going to bred the resulting heifers back to another Ohlde type bull?

That is what I intend to do. We will be going to Kansas in a month or so and I want to pick out a Missing Link or Homer or Mitchell son to breed the heifers with next spring.

OK Jeanne":3mhbyj35 said:
some muscle.
Here's Bonnie Sue, photo taken at 15 yrs:

BonnieSue.jpg

Exactly what I told my wife when she said "I was a little light in the rear". So do bulls. :lol:

Latest posts