Some Herd Sire Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

creekdrive

Reaction score
Now that all the bulls have been turned out for the year thought I would share some quick snapshots of some of the bulls.

iphone_backup_750sm.jpg

Left is a 3 yr old Red Angus (goes back to TLA Northern Samurai), Right is a 2 yr old (Son of Six Mile High Caliber)

iphone-backup-748sm.jpg

3 yr old Red Angus. We use this bull on most of our replacements that we plan on keeping for ourselves.

iphone_backup_579sm.jpg

7 yr old Red Angus. This bull has been used exclusively on heifers every year since he was a yearling. Has been an excellent heifer bull for us and the few daughters we have kept have been good too.

iphone-backup-783sm.jpg

4 yr old Red Angus

IMG_9023sm.jpg

2 yr old Red Angus (goes back to Young Dale Excaliber)

iphone_backup_753sm.jpg

4 yr old Charolais

iphone_backup_756sm.jpg

a picture that demonstrates the difference in frame. That is a 2 yr old RA next to him that would weigh an easy 1700 lbs. He looks like a calf next to that big guy...

iphone_backup_886sm.jpg

New yearling Char bull. Not sure what the black is on him - something he rubbed on himself from the trailer he was delivered in.

I think you're stretching it on your 1700 lb estimate on the RA bull. He's not as tall as the fence and pretty compact as well. The larger one might go a little over that though

TexasBred said:
I think you're stretching it on your 1700 lb estimate on the RA bull. He's not as tall as the fence and pretty compact as well. The larger one might go a little over that though

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I honestly think I'm pretty close at 1700 lbs. He was a bit under 1200 lbs when we purchased him february 2018 as a yearling and has grown considerably since then. Even at 1lb a day gain he'd be at minimum 1600 lbs by now. It doesn't take an overly big bull to hit 1700 lbs as a 2yr old if he is carrying good weight.

That tan bull is the biggest we have owned. Maybe not as thick as some but he is a big tall bull.

creekdrive said:
TexasBred said:

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I honestly think I'm pretty close at 1700 lbs. He was a bit under 1200 lbs when we purchased him february 2018 as a yearling and has grown considerably since then. Even at 1lb a day gain he'd be at minimum 1600 lbs by now. It doesn't take an overly big bull to hit 1700 lbs as a 2yr old if he is carrying good weight.

That tan bull is the biggest we have owned. Maybe not as thick as some but he is a big tall bull.

I could be wrong as well. Missed the weight on a rooster one time by 18 pounds. :lol: :lol2:

Fine looking bulls. When I was used to running Charolais it was a culture shock of sorts to see some of the Angus and Herefords of that time. I would imagine that combination of red Angus and Charolais makes some real nice calves.

Thanks all! None of them are perfect but overall I think they are a pretty good group of bulls. Some of them are bulls that we raised that came in dam from purchasing breds at dispersal sales. We've had pretty good luck with that. The Black Angus bulls must not be as photogenic this spring...no pictures of them yet. Our main Black herd sire went lame in a front leg 3 days before turn out :( He was a 5 yr old and a really good bull in a lot of ways.

Silver said:
A fine looking pen of bulls for sure. Do you keep any Char cross replacements?
We try not to keep any. Would probably go broke trying to feed a herd full of his daughters. We do break our own rules once in awhile though and have 1 daughter of that tan bull that calved this spring and there is 2 possibly 3 daughters (not going to DNA a commercial heifer to see who her sire is) that are getting bred this year.

gizmom said:
I like all of them with the exception of the giant Char bull, he just isn't my type at all. A really solid set of bulls! The 3 Year old RA is my favorite.
Gizmom
I tend to agree with you on the Char bull honestly. His purpose is strictly terminal calves and for that he works very well.
Char x calves just about always top the market where we sell. He adds frame versus using an Angus on our commercial cows and that's a good thing for us selling at the auction.

Redgully said:
Excellent cattle, i would be happy with every one of those. Way better than anything i have.
Thanks redgully. I know you've mentioned it before but what breed do you have?

I breed red polls, unfortunately the breed has shrunk to such a size that we would be lucky to get 1 new a.i. bull every two years and then it wont be what i am after. There are a few nice bulls around but mostly related or don't compliment each other. Only having 8 cows at the moment means i am so small i can't breed my own bulls. I had a friend who was breeding some really nice bulls and i had access to those but he recently quit. I have just bought some speckle park embryos so i will see where that takes me.

You got some real firepower there! Beautiful bulls along with some beautiful backdrops. Congratulations to you and thanks for sharing!

TennesseeTuxedo said:
You have a good one waiting on you as well bball.

Y'all made me feel pretty good after hearing the feedback. Thanks man!

Latest posts